Best way to find homes for kittens?

Moominmamma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our local shelters are so full they are refusing to take any more kittens at the moment. I have two adorable and friendly male kittens I need to find a home for and am not sure how. I am hesitant to post them to Facebook because dog fighting rings are prevalent in my area, and people have also been busted taking free kittens to feed their pet snakes. I’m really at a loss here.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I did my own private rescue of feral kittens/cats, I found it helpful to make up flyers for them.
I use a photo software, like Photoshop Elements.
Then use "layers" to add the text and other layers to add the blocks and place behind the text to help separate the text if needed.
Yes, you can use a cell phone if the camera is clear enough, however, you may need to crop the image.

I use a Nikon DLSR camera, so it shoots in format of a 3:2 ( 3 wide by 2 high) or 2:3 (2 wide 3 high)
I prefer and in the examples I use the vertical format 2:3
Have you ever noticed 95 % of all images are shot horizontal, yet 95% of published printed images are vertical?.
Either format can be printed for about 39 cents at Walmart (Costco online is also an option).
Basically, it makes a nice photo sized brochure.
I shoot the image in as high a resolution as possible
I get at the same level as the kitten/cat and fill much of the image with the cat, yet leave a little room for the text.
This example has 7 layers,
* The base image of the kitten.
* Three colored (purple) blocks, with one being the same color yet mostly transparent behind the text with the name.
* Three text layers
The number of layers is flexible based on the image and the info you need to add.

The images below are compressed to facilitate loading on web pages and not being too large for our cell phone users.
I use the largest (higher pixel) resolution images to print, even if only on 4 inch by 6 inch prints.
It ends up being just over $1 for three small size high quality 4 X 6 posters..
The bonus is the same images (or compressed if required) can be used for your website/social media postings.
These posters when created for Rescue groups or Shelters can help increase adoptions.

Adagio_10_wks_1_640.jpg
Adagio_10_wks_poster_sample_640.jpg

Last edited:

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The local pro-humane shelter here has had very few cats/kittnes.
The pandemic caused an increase in adoptions, as people felt they could be home to help kittens/cats adjust.
All of these animals were adopted with substantial screening, altered, shots, microchipped etc.

It does seem though that there are a lot of threads appearing with young unaltered pets creating too many offspring.
I hope this is not a side effect of other pandemic acquirers not being responsible.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its necessary to screen they adopters. Talk with them, perhaps let them fill a declaration.
Take a payment. It scares off some of the scavengers. The payment should be more than what is usual for laboratory cats or food for pet snakes.

Thus; no "free kitten to a good home". Unless you know for sure its a good home. And you know the kitten will be a precious gift for the new owner.

If its embarrasing to demand money, you can
1: take payment for the service done; vet costs alike spaying and vaccination. Have the receipts! All normal persons will gladely pay, because a normal owner must do this anyway. If they refuse or are hesitant, than you KNOW.

2. You can always demand a "voluntary" payment to some noble cause (say the Red Cross, or some Church help fond), in the cats name... NOT the persons name.
So, if the cat is named Charlie, they are the Smiths family, it may be payed in the name of Charlie Smith... Creating a magical bond.

My big bro, whom once happened his both young female cats they got preg before he had them spayed, and suddenly had 16 kittens running at home; two young mommas and 14 of their kittens;
did tried to arrange to sell them to families with children.

It was typically arranged as so:

He did carried the kitten. The child, with 10 dollars in hand; with hers parents standing closely behind.
The child gave the money, and got the kitten to hold and have....

All these adoptions worked as a marvel.

He tried to follow and visit these families and cats. All were there also years afterwards.