Best Water Fountain?

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I'm in a huge search for the best water fountain. I want one that is safe (so no plastic), one that is easy to clean (very important) and one that is bigger in size (I have 3 cats)
I've read many reviews (like the drinkwell 360 or the catit one) but heard they're hard to clean. I think I heard that the best and easiest one to clean is the Pioneer Avalon ceramic fountain. Has anyone tried that one?

Any info is very much appreciated.
Thank you! :)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this would be 'best' for your cat, but the Pioneer Pet Big Max is the fountain that finally met with our cats' approval. It's super easy to clean, and there's a video that shows you how to take the pump apart to clean it.

The only problem I ran into was that water splashed all over the place at first. But that was entirely my fault. After awhile, I got the knack of knowing exactly how to place the pump and the ceramic part that goes over it.

lucentstreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the Pioneer teardrop fountain (stainless steel) and it is very easy to use. Hugo took it like a pro and even drinks out of it when I switch it off at night. The engine is easy to clean too

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm currently using both the Pioneer teardrop water fountain like lucentstreak and the Drinkwell 360. Pioneer Teardrop would be a bit small for your need but our cats love it and it is very easy to clean. With 3 cats, you would need to add more water every 2 days (I have 4 cats). We were originally going to only keep 1 kitten but ended up keeping 3 when Sabin gave birth so got an additional water fountain. The Drinkwell 360 (stainless steel) is defintely harder to clean and it does have quite a lot of plastic parts, apart from the bowl and the cone, everything is plastic. With that said I've gotten used to cleaning it and takes me about 20-30 minutes to clean both.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The drinkwell 360 is a pain to keep clean. I used it for a few months with my cats and then gave it to my mother for her dogs. It just attracts hair and anything else on the floor. I've used the Drinkwell Platinum for years and though it's plastic it's easy to keep cleaned. The worst about it was using it in Phoenix AZ. The water was hard water and it ends up with this terrible calcium build up so I toss it and get a new one.

They have a CatiT stainless steel top fountain in the Freshstep Paw Points catalog worth about $40 on amazon with pretty decent reviews.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies. Think I'll be going with the Pioneer ones. Not sure which yet, but I'll have to see where I can order them from my work (I get a discount that way :D ). Is Ceramic ok to use? Or should it only be stainless steel? Are the Pioneers noisy?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies. Think I'll be going with the Pioneer ones. Not sure which yet, but I'll have to see where I can order them from my work (I get a discount that way :D ). Is Ceramic ok to use? Or should it only be stainless steel? Are the Pioneers noisy?
Ceramic and stainless are both okily-dokily. I simply chose the ceramic because that's what our cats' water and food bowls are made of, and I thought that might be more familiar to them. Also, my guys are pretty rambunctious, and I just assumed that ceramic would be heavier. But I guess that's kinda a moot point once you fill the basin with water. It ain't going anywhere. ;-)

As for the noise, our Pioneer fountain sounds quiet to me. I hardly ever even hear the pump unless the house is extremely quiet and I just happen to be passing by. And for what it's worth, I think Pioneer uses that same pump in several of their models.

Best of luck with whatever you choose, and hope your cats enjoy their new fountain!

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ceramic and stainless are both okily-dokily. I simply chose the ceramic because that's what our cats' water and food bowls are made of, and I thought that might be more familiar to them. Also, my guys are pretty rambunctious, and I just assumed that ceramic would be heavier. But I guess that's kinda a moot point once you fill the basin with water. It ain't going anywhere. ;-)

As for the noise, our Pioneer fountain sounds quiet to me. I hardly ever even hear the pump unless the house is extremely quiet and I just happen to be passing by. And for what it's worth, I think Pioneer uses that same pump in several of their models.

Best of luck with whatever you choose, and hope your cats enjoy their new fountain!
Thanks a bunch for the info! I kinda like the Ceramic look so I was hoping it was a safe choice. I have senior pets, so I want something that won't be too loud and will be safe for them <3 Think I'll be going with the Pioneer one. Probably the Big Max or the Avalon.
I really appreciate all the help you all have offered. I find it difficult to figure out what products I should get, that would make my old kitties be happier. I want nothing but the best and you're all very helpful!

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haha! I just realised that the Avalon is not even from Pioneer! It's a PetSafe product. Oops!
Think I'll check out the Big Max and the Raindrop

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha! I just realised that the Avalon is not even from Pioneer! It's a PetSafe product. Oops!
Think I'll check out the Big Max and the Raindrop
We had thought about ordering the Raindrop when we bought our fountain. The only reason we decided upon the Big Max was because one of the human members of our family is extremely claustrophobic, and thought the Big Max just looked roomier and more open, per this pic. :lol:

Hope your cats love whatever you decide upon. :-)

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bear in mind the raindrop isn't really a big water fountain, with 3 cats you will need to top up the water every 2-3 days. It seems to be able to hold about 48oz of water, although it is rated for 60oz, if you put 60 it would overflow.

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have the stainless steel raindrop and it holds about 2 and 2/3rds of 16oz bottled water. I just cleaned and refilled mine and it took about 5 minutes including taking apart the pump. I literally sit right next to it during the day and I never hear it.

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found a supplier that has the Big Max, well, they have it on their website but not in the catalogue. I'm hoping it's still an item we can order. I'm also a little nervous about the price. I saw the Stainless Steel one from another supplier for about 150$ (Canadian dollar), so here's hoping it's not as expensive! Fingers crossed!! :crossfingers:

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a stainless steel big max and raindrop style and they are both nice fountains. The smaller raindrop fits in my dishwasher for super easy cleaning. I'm not sure if the big max can do that or not, although he big max *IS* heavier guage steel, which is a plus in my book.

Either way, there are a couple o tips for fountains that I figured that I would mention

-if you put the fountain on a dish drying pad, it will absorb not only any little splashes, but some of the vibration sound.

-use purified water

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to get one of these - Thirsty Cat Fountains. They have bigger and smaller sizes available, also video of how to clean as well.
Thirsty Cat Fountains are well worth the money. I have 10 cats, plus a dog, and I live in the desert. I have 3 Thirsty Cat Fountains and they're great. Easy to clean, and the base is large enough for cats to drink out of that don't want to drink from the stream of water, so it makes all the cats happy.

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thirsty Cat Fountains are well worth the money. I have 10 cats, plus a dog, and I live in the desert. I have 3 Thirsty Cat Fountains and they're great. Easy to clean, and the base is large enough for cats to drink out of that don't want to drink from the stream of water, so it makes all the cats happy.
Unfortunately, the Thirsty Cat is well out of my price range. Shipping cost would be crazy! Not to mention the customs and taxes. I need something I can buy in Canada. I do love them though. They're super pretty! One day maybe!

coffeecat2420

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave myself permission to order one and it's on its way. I'm so excited! I'll share a picture when it arrives.
I placed an extra drinking dish on a bedside nightside after learning cats prefer water to be away from their feeding area, and my girl likes drinking here, so that's where the fountain will go - I will get to enjoy it, too.