Best water for cats?

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are probably many posts about this question...but what is the best water for cats? I myself drink Core water but that would be pricey to give to my cats. I have been giving them distilled water in the belief - probably mistaken - that it would reduce the possibiity of stones or urinary crystals. Now I see that the PH of distilled water is too low and can CAUSE kidney issue. What about bottled spring water/ I honestly dont really want to give tap water or even filtered tap water.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My house runs off rain water, so that's what my cats get if it helps any

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just give tap water. None of my cats have ever had urinary issues from tap water. If the quality of your tap water is questionable (you can get a copy of the latest test results from your town water department), bottled water is fine. Some bottled waters are just filtered tap water like the Dasani brand :rolleyes: Look for pure spring water like the Poland Spring brand. There are home water filtration devices you can have a plumber install but that can be pricey.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I use tap water for the cats and dog and have done so my entire life of owning pets. Urinary issues have been very few given the number of animals I have owned. Fiona, ironically, was the only cat who ever had stones and subsequent bladder surgery to remove them.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give my cats tap water (Detroit). Its pH is typically 7-7.4, essentially neutral; moderate hardness, about 100 ppm. Never had any urinary issues with any pets.