Best Walmart Wet Food Brand?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a TCS thread about healthiest foods available at Wal Mart and grocery stores:

If you can buy food online from Chewy.com or other place, that will give you more options that what Wal Mart and the grocery store have available.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dispiriting

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Dispiriting

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sheba as well It seems like Friskies and fancy feast are good options since a lot of people are recommending it

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay what I don’t understand is that one person is telling me that fancy feast is a decent brand and ur telling me it’s bad? That comment even has a like from a staff member sooo which one is it
Fancy Feast is a 'lesser of evils' option. I wouldn't consider it a 'good' food, but it's better than kibble and a lot of other canned foods.

Part of the reason why FF has become popular lately is because a popular veterinarian by the name of Lisa Pierson (author of catinfo.org - great website to check out by the way), makes some statements on her website about how FF Classics are a good option for high animal protein and low carb. This is a true statement. However, the other side of things is that we have no idea where FF sources their ingredients from and their foods also contain questionable ingredients such as gums and flavor additives.

The pet food industry is a mess and once you start asking questions like 'which food is best?' you will get very complicated answers because, to be honest, there is no 'ideal' food to feed your cat that you can buy at a pet store or Walmart.

Back to your original quesiton though... yes, FF is a 'lesser of evils' solid option to feed your cat if you're limited to Walmart.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of all the cat food available in Walmart, FF Classic Pate (and it’s local knock offs I hear) is probably the best food. Out of all cat food available in the US, FF is imo somewhere in the middle, as although it’s high protein and low carb and great calorie wise, it also contains unnamed ingredients, artificial ingredients (no go for me), lots of pork in by products (red meat is not necessarily good for some (most?) cats), fish in almost every can, menadione, gums and it’s suspiciously addictive (I personally don’t trust food that is liked by every cat). Still, when you consider that many brands that are considered good have lots of plant matter, FF is really decent. Especially given it’s price and availability.
It also depends if you care about the company practices. Purina and it’s parent Nestle is probably one of the most unethical companies out there, and understandably, some people choose not to support it.

Dispiriting

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i understand I wI’ll try to buy food from chewy it will be easier to stock up and less chance of corona germs on those products :p

Dispiriting

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i come from a religion that does not eat pork and we prefer not to touch it guess chewy should be a higher pr

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any meat by-products will probably have a lot of pork, there's no way to know. But almost certainly yes, as pork is cheaper than beef. I guess you could stick to the foods that only have poultry by-products, or the more expensive foods that don't have any by-products.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I will add, it is best to have a few brands in rotation. Cats can get bored of the same food every day and not eating the same protein every day is better for them as well.
Also, if they are fed the same food all the time they may become stuck on that food and difficult to switch in future.
I feed my cats a mix of different foods daily and so far it has worked well for us.
Also, if one of the foods you feed is say FF, then you balance it out with a better quality brand.
It is hard to find the perfect cat food.
Chewy is a good source for more variety, so good decision going with that.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Feeding in rotation is a good idea. I feed the better quality, more expensive brands when I can afford it, cheaper brands like Friskies, Sheba, Fancy Feast at other times.

I think a variety of foods your cat likes and you can afford is the best way to feed.

:)

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay what I don’t understand is that one person is telling me that fancy feast is a decent brand and ur telling me it’s bad? That comment even has a like from a staff member sooo which one is it
For every kind of cat food (probably with the exception of royal canin because it's got a lot of paid endorsements) I can find you probably 20 pet experts who will tell you it's garbage.

I say kitty decides. If my cat won't eat it, it's garbage. If she loves it, it's not.

Millions of years of evolution > What I think

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I give my cats sheba roasted Turkey or chicken in the morning sometimes. Maybe the catfooddb will help explain things. Friskies isnt all bad but ff classics or sheba roasted Turkey and chicken would be better