Best urine support and heart murmur food or supplement

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is helpful advice Maggie! I see OTC science diet kitten has DL Methionine, dose this dry food seem better than Dry Purina?
Chicken, Brown Rice, Wheat Gluten, Chicken Fat, Egg Product, Whole Grain Oats, Whole Grain Wheat, Cracked Pearled Barley, Chicken Liver Flavor, Flaxseed, Calcium Sulfate, Lactic Acid, Fish Oil, L-Lysine, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Taurine, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Iodized Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Oat Fiber, Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, Natural Flavors, Magnesium Oxide, Beta-Carotene, Apples, Broccoli, Carrots, Cranberries, Green Peas.

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is the dry Purina Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Rice Flour, Soybean Meal, Beef Fat Naturally Preserved With Mixed-Tocopherols, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Soy Protein Concentrate, Liver Flavor, Soy Protein Isolate, Phosphoric Acid, Salt, Caramel Color, Fish Oil, Dried Carrots, Dried Peas, Choline Chloride, Taurine, MINERALS [Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, VITAMINS [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K)], L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, DL-Methionine. V415917
It doesn't seem great but she loves it

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I forgot,purina ur is liked by many cats. It does not need a prescription. They don't give samples,though. I might try it. She has started meowing more and straining to pee though the vet I never saw said she no longer has crystals. Very confusing
A kitty can have a non crystal based uti. They can have the same frequency/urgency symptoms as we do! And totally. It really can be very confusing.

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, i am confusing guys, I know I am writing so much but you have been helping so much. Since the day I got her two weeks ago she has been urinating about ten times a day but no staining or crying out. The vet took a urine sample and said her WBC was slightly high so he gave her 10 days of amoxicillin. She was spayed just before we got her so I am wondering if that stirred something up.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! That is a lot. I am recovering from a sprained ankle and cannot drive for 2 months,so I am quite bored! Responding gives me something to do so I am glad to have something to take up my time. Also not working.

Copy pasted this
Hill’s Prescription can dissolve struvite stones in as little as seven days and will reduce the risk of developing stones in the future. Controlled levels of magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus help to promote healthy urine pH levels, which can reduce the risk of stones and crystals. It also has added antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids for the overall health of your cat and is appropriate for every life stage.

She also needs lots of water so if you feed dry,add some for moisture. My cat does not like hills so I'm stuck with gobs. Same with rc. Even if I mix she won't eat it.

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ohhh sorry about your ankle Maggie! she is not on a prescption food yet but if needed I will for sure try one of those options. Do you think science diet that you can buy in the pet stores is a good option or should I stick with the purnia since she eats it well. I feed her both wet and dry.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ohhh sorry about your ankle Maggie! she is not on a prescption food yet but if needed I will for sure try one of those options. Do you think science diet that you can buy in the pet stores is a good option or should I stick with the purnia since she eats it well. I feed her both wet and dry.
So she is on Purina kitten food? What about just trying a different brand of food. Possibly that food just does not agree with her? My Jethro (aka TroDeDoe) ate all the food that didn’t agree with him no problem. How about trying eliminating the dry food? Do you know what the pH of the urine was?

Last edited:

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She does not have uti. Or does she again? Wait and see
Right?! Cats can even have a sterile (no sign of infection urine yet there is still inflammation). If there doesn’t appear to be a cause such as bacteria in the urine, that’s what the vets usually refer to a cystitis. (The suffix ITIS means inflammation) White cells can just be a reaction to inflammation. This mystery has been going on for a long time with the kitties and their bladders. There are a lot of big brains out there that have been studying this for decades and still don’t have enough answers.

and oh yeah, big big bummer about your ankle. I hope you’re mending quickly!

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! That is a lot. I am recovering from a sprained ankle and cannot drive for 2 months,so I am quite bored! Responding gives me something to do so I am glad to have something to take up my time. Also not working.

Copy pasted this
Hill’s Prescription can dissolve struvite stones in as little as seven days and will reduce the risk of developing stones in the future. Controlled levels of magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus help to promote healthy urine pH levels, which can reduce the risk of stones and crystals. It also has added antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids for the overall health of your cat and is appropriate for every life stage.

She also needs lots of water so if you feed dry,add some for moisture. My cat does not like hills so I'm stuck with gobs. Same with rc. Even if I mix she won't eat it.
What is gobs?

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is the dry Purina Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Rice Flour, Soybean Meal, Beef Fat Naturally Preserved With Mixed-Tocopherols, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Soy Protein Concentrate, Liver Flavor, Soy Protein Isolate, Phosphoric Acid, Salt, Caramel Color, Fish Oil, Dried Carrots, Dried Peas, Choline Chloride, Taurine, MINERALS [Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, VITAMINS [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K)], L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, DL-Methionine. V415917
It doesn't seem great but she loves it
Your food and the food I feed my cat are similar. I think they’re pretty standard middle of the road foods. Just about all cat foods contain DL methionine. It is a urinary acidifier to keep the pH of the urine from getting too high. You generally want your kitty’s urine to be between 6.5 and 7.0 approximately. That is why I asked what the pH of her urine was.

Last edited:

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Xena, thank you for that information. I'm glad you are figuring your kitty's issues out. When his cystitis acts up dose he have accidents or dose he still make it to his litter box? I know fish isn't the best protein fir them but she dose it seem to like the wellness chicken food that I got her. It's weird because the cat vet I see recommend hill science diet, Royal canin or jams but like you guys said those do not seem like the best foods, it's all so confusing.
Urinates in appropriately. Either in the shower or in the corner of the living room or on the dog bed. And I can generally get a vibe from him when he is not feeling well.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One ingredient in prescription food is DL Methionine to lower the pH. Also something to do with all the minerals like ash and magnesium and low phosphorus. blue buffalo has vetenary now but one ingredient in all their foods is carrageenan which I wouldn't use. For a healthy cat the ingredients look okay except for the fish and rice
You’re absolutely right about the carrageenan. NO NO NO!!!! The evidence and articles about carrageenan are well known snd not “new” news, I don’t know why they’re still using it. That’s irresponsible

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot,purina ur is liked by many cats. It does not need a prescription. They don't give samples,though. I might try it. She has started meowing more and straining to pee though the vet I never saw said she no longer has crystals. Very confusing
oops again, yes it does

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Be careful buying prescription cat food. Send for free samples first. My cat werun will not touch anything prescription for her kidney disease. I tossed lots of food to the waste can.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Be careful buying prescription cat food. Send for free samples first. My cat werun will not touch anything prescription for her kidney disease. I tossed lots of food to the waste can.
I'm also stuck with lots. Hills and rc.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm also stuck with lots. Hills and rc.
Donate to a shelter? Or bring to your vet. They take food sometimes and give it to people as samples or if they can’t afford the food. As long as it’s in date.Hills has tremendous return policy. They take back just about any food for any reason. Your vet should be able to credit your payment. They should have told you this.

Last edited by a moderator:

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will for sure ask the vet if he knows her urine PH. If it turns out that she dose just have inflammation and not a UTI is there anything I can do for that? The purnia is kitten food and I feed her both wet and dry. I did not see DL methionine listed in that food but science diet kitten has it if I switch her over to that. It's weird because so far she has had no accidents or staring she just goes a lot. I appreciate all of your help.