Best urine support and heart murmur food or supplement

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions! So many things are out of stock right now. just so I am getting this right did you say that crystals would not show up on a uri e test, just an X-ray?
Actually, most crystals are not picked up by radiographs. When they’ve grown large enough to form stones, they are more likely (possibly) to become radiographic. Having said that, some types of stones are actually radiopaque. It’s just their structure/mineral content that makes them not visible. And radiographic technique and positioning of the patient will also either help or hinder the visibility of stones. Crystals are picked up by examining of a fresh sample under a microscope. They can appear just by the simple process of the urine aging. Even a short time exposed to air can make crystals develop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Xena! If she happens to have cystitis like my past cat had, do you think a supplement would help?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
After the urinalysis he saw crystals. The xray showed a possible blockage and that they're struitive crystals. He wanted me to pay $600 for an ultrasound but then said prescription food should desolve the crystals. If not ultrasound. He wasn't very informative. Since I didn't do the xray or urina,ysis I am not sure exactly what he found. Last visit I was there an hour. He never showed up. Just has his helper ask questions then relay to him in the back. Opens and closes the door to ask him questions. I will not go back

Last edited:

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh geeze Maggie that sounds like an awful vet experience. How old is your cat who had crystals before and is she doing good now?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a thread on hear about 5 month old kitten. Still haven't figured out how to share it so you can do a search. It has some good articles

Last edited:

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Maggie! ❤❤❤❤

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After the urinalysis he saw crystals. The xray showed a possible blockage and that they're struitive crystals. He wanted me to pay $600 for an ultrasound but then said prescription food should desolve the crystals. If not ultrasound. He wasn't very informative. Since I didn't do the xray or urina,ysis I am not sure exactly what he found. Last visit I was there an hour. He never showed up. Just has his helper ask questions then relay to him in the back. Opens and closes the door to ask him questions. I will not go back
No kidding! I’m not exactly sure what he saw either!! 😳 an X-ray isn’t going to show “a possible blockage”. Either your cat is blocked. Or not. And if your kitty was blocked, that’s not an incidental finding, it’s an emergency. I have to say emphatically that there is absolutely no way he can see what type of crystal it is via radiograph. Absolutely no way. I agree with you as far as finding another vet. This guy sounds like someone i definitely wouldn’t trust my little hearts with!!!! I’m glad you stick with the diet and didn’t let this guy drag you along.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Xena! If she happens to have cystitis like my past cat had, do you think a supplement would help?
Possibly. My Jethro has a tendency toward cystitis. I found that many foods (high end foods, I was trying to give him a better food) caused him to have a cystitis. I do believe many maladies in our pups and kits are diet related. It took me a bit to see the pattern but after I realized it was definitely food related, I just put him back on what he was originally eating and the cystitis went away. He still gets is on occasion and I give him Pet Wellbeing Urinary Gold. I started that and it took care of the issue. Now if he acts up, I start him on a course. I read the reviews and that convinced me to give it a try. My guy just has a sensitive bladder for whatever reason. I always do my research before buying a new product and recommend others to do the same. There are a gazillion products out there and enough of them are snake oil. I know a little about herbs and I really like the ingredients. The reviews were the topper for me. 😻

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Possibly. My Jethro has a tendency toward cystitis. I found that many foods (high end foods, I was trying to give him a better food) caused him to have a cystitis. I do believe many maladies in our pups and kits are diet related. It took me a bit to see the pattern but after I realized it was definitely food related, I just put him back on what he was originally eating and the cystitis went away. He still gets is on occasion and I give him Pet Wellbeing Urinary Gold. I started that and it took care of the issue. Now if he acts up, I start him on a course. I read the reviews and that convinced me to give it a try. My guy just has a sensitive bladder for whatever reason.
I might try that. It seems like I have to figure things out on my own.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I might try that. It seems like I have to figure things out on my own.
The vets recommend a 1-2 week course. I contacted them and it was what the vet told me. The vets there are very helpful. I wrote them with questions and they responded within 48 hours. That is why (for me) it was best to get it directly from them rather that Amazon or elsewhere. But he also said that if after 2 weeks, if the issue wasn’t cleared, to see your vet. But seriously, read the reviews. I was impressed and hopeful.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The vets recommend a 1-2 week course. I contacted them and it was what the vet told me. The vets there are very helpful. I wrote them with questions and they responded within 48 hours. That is why (for me) it was best to get it directly from them rather that Amazon or elsewhere. But he also said that if after 2 weeks, if the issue wasn’t cleared, to see your vet. But seriously, read the reviews. I was impressed and hopeful.
I will keep that in my color notes assuming she gets crystals again. Cool app. You can share things there and save or type your own notes

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will keep that in my color notes assuming she gets crystals again. Cool app. You can share things there and save or type your own notes
I’ll check it out. As well as that supplement. Thanks!

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Xena, thank you for that information. I'm glad you are figuring your kitty's issues out. When his cystitis acts up dose he have accidents or dose he still make it to his litter box? I know fish isn't the best protein fir them but she dose it seem to like the wellness chicken food that I got her. It's weird because the cat vet I see recommend hill science diet, Royal canin or jams but like you guys said those do not seem like the best foods, it's all so confusing.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The food is made to dissolve the crystals. Try using toppers like freeze dried chicken or if that doesn't work mix in the food she likes. My cat did not like either brand but at lshe could tolerate royal canin with toppers.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot,purina ur is liked by many cats. It does not need a prescription. They don't give samples,though. I might try it. She has started meowing more and straining to pee though the vet I never saw said she no longer has crystals. Very confusing

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Maggie. Let me know if you try the purnia, it says for adults so my kitty might be too young still. She came to us eatting purnia one focus and loves it do you think that it is an ok food for now, I can find the ingredients

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chicken & Liver Entree Classic: Chicken, Liver, Fish, Meat By-Products, Water Sufficient For Processing, Artificial And Natural Flavors, Calcium Phosphate, Rice, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Added Color, Salt, Taurine, Thiamine Mononitrate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source Of Vitamin K Activity), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide. E-4651

This is her soft food, that she eats very well. I also give her purnia kitten dry that she loves. I tried switching her to wellness dry food but she leaves those kibble in her dish.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
One ingredient in prescription food is DL Methionine to lower the pH. Also something to do with all the minerals like ash and magnesium and low phosphorus. blue buffalo has vetenary now but one ingredient in all their foods is carrageenan which I wouldn't use. For a healthy cat the ingredients look okay except for the fish and rice

Last edited: