Best urine support and heart murmur food or supplement

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, my nine week old kitten just had her first check up. The vet said she has a slight heart murmur which dose scare me and she also did a urine analysis because I told her how she uses the litter box up to ten times a day. She suggested science diet or royal canin because they are less lucky to cause crystal from forming, has anyone ever dealt with these issues or is there any supplements you recommend. Thank you,

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My car had struitive crystals and was on royal canin so. The crystals are gone now. He said first visit she would be on it rest of her life but few days ago,, he said to put her back on what she likes since she stopped eating. Probably didn't like it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Maggie! They sent out the sample and will be calling me. Do you feed your cat both wet and dry Royal canin?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The best way to handle the heart murmur is to take your cat for regular checkups. Diet is not a preventative for that, although you want to feed your kitten the best food you can.

Ask the vet for more information about the murmur and see what she says/recommends.

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the reply! Maggie, what were you cats symptoms when he/she had crystals?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the reply! Maggie, what were you cats symptoms when he/she had crystals?
[/QUOTE
The main sympton is straining to pee or small amounts. Crystals can cause a blockage so if that's what she has then prescription food would be best. Sometimes caused by stress or urinary tract infection. She had uti and very stressed

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I got her feliway and rescue remedy and played with her more. I sprained my ankle so I couldn't give her enough attention. Now I can walk! I also suggest not having tops on litter boxes so you can watch

Last edited:

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is all good advice Maggie. Is the feliways the wall defusior? I hope the urine test can give me some insight into what's going on. I am so scared that she could develope a blockage, I actually chose a female cat because I know males are more prone to these issues 😢.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, my nine week old kitten just had her first check up. The vet said she has a slight heart murmur which dose scare me and she also did a urine analysis because I told her how she uses the litter box up to ten times a day. She suggested science diet or royal canin because they are less lucky to cause crystal from forming, has anyone ever dealt with these issues or is there any supplements you recommend. Thank you,
Hold on a second there! She wants to put your 9 wk old kitten on an rx diet for the rest of her life?? I think that’s jumping the gun a bit. (STRICTLY MHO!!). What were the results of the u/a? Were there crystals? Bacteria? White or red cells? did she give an antibiotic? A simple (so to speak) UTI as a youngun doesn’t mean that it’s going to be a chronic issue. (keep in mind, it could be) but your little tiny doesn’t even have a totally competent immune system yet. and she possibly could grow out of the heart murmur. It wouldn't be uncommon. I trust your vet told you that? Now please please please, I’m not a doctor but I do have a clue. And I really do think your vet is jumping the gun on this. More information about the urine analysis would be helpful.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Crystals are confirmed in detail by a radiograph xray if the vet finds some after a urinalysis.. It can happen any age. Until you get the results royal canin or hills are not necessary

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Crystals are confirmed in detail by a radiograph xray if the vet finds some after a urinalysis.. It can happen any age. Until you get the results royal canin or hills are not necessary
Actually, most crystals are not picked up by radiographs. When they’ve grown large enough to form stones, they are more likely (possibly) to become radiographic. Having said that, some types of stones are actually radiopaque. It’s just their structure/mineral content that makes them not visible. And radiographic technique and positioning of the patient will also either help or hinder the visibility of stones. But I definitely agree with you about the need for an rx diet at this point.

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both. I talked to the vet and he said her WBC was elevated so he is giving her a liquid antibiotic. Is there any supplements or anything else you recommended for UTIs? Thank you.

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Xena, I just saw your reply now. Thank for the information. The urine sample came back as high WBC. Do you guys think she needs a probiotic?

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, a probiotic if recommended to supplement during antibiotic use.
this is what was recommended to me. I like this company snd have used their products before. My cat and dog have both benefitted from their urinary gold formula.

that is the link. I clicked on it to be sure it brought you to the page I was referring to.
Search Results

Last edited:

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Xena. So this would be more of a bladder infection, is there any supplement that is good for that issue?

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dose anyone know is hills healthy advantage a prescption food and if so is hills science diet OTC ok or is there any good brand I can buy in stores.

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry everyone I don't know how to edit a post but is wellness better than OTC science diet

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is a prescription food it will say that in the title. If she just has uti,no crystals, any canned food will help hills and royal canin are good only if it's something more serious. The ingredients are awful. I am not a vet but What does your vet say? It is very frustrating when you don't know what exactly going on and your cat can't talk to you. Make sure she has plenty of water. Numerous bowls or fountains.

Ps: the more you post, you will be able to edit