Best urine cleaner?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on the surface that it is on. For soft surfaces, Nature's Miracle for Cats, Nok Out, Urine Gone, and Zero Odor work very well as long as you put enough on it to saturate it. If the smell doesn't come out the first time, you might have to repeat a few times.

For wood surfaces, nothing seems to permeate the wood entirely. It is best to sand it down and apply a polyurethane coat over the spot. Someone marked my wood file cabinet and I tried for years to get the smell out. A few months back, I sanded and varnished it and you can't even tell anything happened to it. I was shocked.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

We have spray problems in my house and Im just wondering if anyone has found any products that seem to work good for cleaning up smell completely. Thanks!
We like Nature's Miracle Just For Cats, and buy it by the gallon. Used according to directions, it really works. Try it -- you'll like it! Available at Petco, PetsMart, and good supply stores.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie got locked out in the sunroom overnight and peed on the brand new Broyhill loveseat. Nature's Miracle absolutely didn't do the trick, Stink-free didn't work either. Anti-Icky-Poo has sort of worked, but maybe my nose is just extra sensitive. I have Urine-Off in the garage waiting for the Anti-Icky-Poo to dry completely. I also have Zero Odor at the post office waiting for me to pick up on Monday. I guess I will just keep treating until I no longer smell it. Unfortunately, the Urine-Off, Anti-Icky-Poo and the Zero Odor all had to be purchased on-line and have taken forever to get here.....so I tried the stuff that I could find locally at Petsmart and Petco first (Nature's Miracle & Stink-Free.) Once I decide what works the best, I will order another gallon and keep it on hand for future accidents.

Good luck. This is definitely one aspect of being a cat lover that I've never had to deal with before....and it is really frustrating! Oh well....once I figure out what works, the frustration will end and the house will smell fresh again (I hope!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions. Im hoping to find something that is good for hard surfaces (walls) but most products to seem to be for fabrics. I'll give some of the suggestions a try, thanks a lot!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I use Nature's Miracle Just For Cats on carpet "accidents" and I can get right down and put my nose up to the carpet once it's dry, and NO SMELL AT ALL. You DO have to wait for it to do its work -- it's enzymatic and "eats" the bacterial molecules which are the source of the smell -- and for the object or the carpet to dry fully. It is guaranteed to work.

kyssyfur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat peed on the backseat of my car............
I have tired nautral remedies and Urine gone and NOTHING has worked. I now drive with a window down all the time. So if Pookie-poo finds something that works, please please let me know also!!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Anti-Icky-Poo seems to have done the trick for me! Although I also purchased (and have not used) Urine-Off and Zero Odor. I purchased all three on-line (just do a Google search.) Zero Odor came most recommended by people here, but arrived last (nearly a week after the AIP.) Anti-Icky-Poo arrived first, so it was the first one used by default, lol! They were all ordered the same day.

I'm still waiting for a good hot, humid day to see if any of the urine odor continues to bake out of the sofa....but so far, so good.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
White vinegar works very, very well. I had lots of urine in my carpet from my elderly dog (had to put her to sleep, she had a stroke and was never the same)

I had to dump the entire gallon into the spots and steam clean. Luckily this all happened in the summer so the windows were opened. The vinegar and urine smell went away after 2-3 days.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luckily I hve only had them pee on towels and a few other items made of cloth, and have found the Febreeze for the laundry works pretty well. Sometimes you have to use it twice depending on how saturated the items were. A lot of time I will rinse them in warm water before washing.

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i always end up using nature's miracle, but i've always wondered if one of the competing products might be better. the problem is, unless one is incredibly superior, it'd be difficult to determine since each use is unique. i am a big believer in the repeat-application process. one of the cats peed on my girlfriend's shoes (!), a leather flat and i treated it several times with NM. the odor was reduced a lot but still present. I gave up and left the shoe in the back yard for a week. my GF then dosed it one more time and then next day it was like nothing had happened! i dunno if it was the waiting or that last dose that did the trick, but either way she doesn't have to toss out a pair of shoes.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Again, Nature's Miracle Just For Cats, used as directed and allowed to dry, DOES work. I put my nose right down on carpet that has been treated and allowed to dry after an "accident", and it has NO SMELL at all. So maybe those who say it didn't work for them want to try again. LET IT DRY COMPLETELY before judging its effectiveness! And if you still have a problem, maybe one of those black light "accident finders" would be a help, to show where there may be areas that didn't get treated. Nature's Miracle is money-back guaranteed, and it does work.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried many of them, but I still think the best is the hydrogen peroxide baking soda mix.
If I can remember, it is three cups of hydrogen peroxide, three tbsp. of baking soda, and a drop or two of dish detergent. spray thoroughly, let it soak in for ten minutes or so, then blot it out. do it again few days later, or as you think you need it. It really works, and it is cheap!
you can search this site for the recipe, I am pretty sure that is it, but it is posted here somewhere, that is where I got it.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I have tried many of them, but I still think the best is the hydrogen peroxide baking soda mix.
If I can remember, it is three cups of hydrogen peroxide, three tbsp. of baking soda, and a drop or two of dish detergent. spray thoroughly, let it soak in for ten minutes or so, then blot it out. do it again few days later, or as you think you need it. It really works, and it is cheap!
you can search this site for the recipe, I am pretty sure that is it, but it is posted here somewhere, that is where I got it.
I would think the peroxide would discolor some materials.

White vinegar does not discolor and is cheap and works.

Natures Miracle contains alcohol and enzimes. Maybe that's why Vodka works.

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Some people on this site have also had success with vodka (yes, I said vodka). Buy a really cheap bottle and saturate the site.
I am set than I have tons of it that we got as a present and I never drink it anyway (yuck
).

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nature's Miracle works wonders for me (and my husband has a very sensitive nose). One of the things with Nature's Miracle is that you have to use it FIRST, otherwise, previously used cleaners might set the stain and odor. The first time our cat peed on our mattress, I used Resolve on it first. That didn't work, so I used Nature's Miracle and the scent never went away.

Eventually we got a new mattress and the cat caught it again without our waterproof pad on it. I immediately saturated it with nearly the whole gallon of Nature's Miracle and after about a week (a week of my husband and I sleeping on the living room floor) the smell was gone!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GREAT "Recipe" and thanks so much for it! I swear by Nature's Miracle Just For Cats, but your suggestion sounds equally effective, and what a cost-saver especially good for those who don't have a lot to spend! THANKS!

mamculuna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have used the peroxide-vinegar-enzyme cleaner-baking soda system on carpets, and it works. Put on each one to saturation, let sit, blot, let dry, and then go on to the next. I would definitely test on a part of the carpet that doesn't show, though, and be sure to wait until it's all totally dry to put on the baking soda and then vacuum it up after an hour or so.

I've also had pretty good success with Nature's Miracle Just for Cats, which is a lot easier to use!