Best Type Of Canned Wet Food For Brachycephalic Breeds

CAtman85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! What do you feed your flat faced kitty? I currently give mine Pate, he likes it but struggles when it get flatten. I then have to mix it up so he can continue eating. It's relatively a small task but sometimes when we're in a hurry in the morning, it kinda adds up.

I will be trying out other offerings such as sliced, minced and cubed. Which of these worked the best? Thank you!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not aware of any particular food that is better than any other for flat faced cats. Perhaps he needs a different type bowl bowl, or one that is raised? Bowls come in so many different shapes and with different sides, or maybe even try feeding him on a plate or small saucer?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 , what a wonder you are! That bowl looks like just the thing!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CAtman85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! Actually I do have both the enhanced pet (loving bowl) and wok style bowls. Love 'em, they definitely help out but once the Pate get flat & sticks to it, he stops eating and meows for help.

I will be getting the cubed and minced style meats and report back. He's turning 1 yr old tomorrow and will be transitioning him to his new food.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
once the Pate get flat & sticks to it, he stops eating and meows for help.
Hmmm. I wonder if the little guy is simple a little bit spoiled ? And, of course, who doesn't spoil their furbabies! I do the same thing with one of mine...he never finishes in one sitting, so I scrape it all into the middle of his dish, add a little water to it so it doesn't get dry and crusty, then sprinkle some crushed PureBites on top to entice him to finish. THEN I cover it up and wait for him to come back around. What a pain, but the things we do for them because we love the heck out of them :wink:. However, if I'm in a hurry and he doesn't get all this special attention, at his next meal he gobbles it all up because he's extra hungry. If I just had the willpower to STOP spoiling him, he might eat all his food at every meal :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CAtman85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmmm. I wonder if the little guy is simple a little bit spoiled ? And, of course, who doesn't spoil their furbabies!
LOL! I couldn't agree more! He's an only cat and gets all the attention he wants. Would love to get him a brother but now is not the right time.

colbey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i understand exactly what you're describing--that as the cat eats, the pate gets smushed down until they can't get it off the bottom of the bowl any more (or even off a plate). it's not a matter of not being able to REACH the food, it's that it's become so spread out/thin that they can't...get their teeth and/or lips on it enough to pick it up. i know this because it's what would happen with my aunt's cat--she had a spoon she kept right next to the food bowl, to "scrape it" up into a little pile every so often.

i can't think of a way to STOP it from happening with a pate-style of canned food. i think some cats are able (or willing) to lick it up, while some can't. it sounds like the best bet is to switch to a chunkier food--chunks or slices. they can also dry onto the bottom, but often enough sticks up so the cat still has something to grab hold of. chunks might work better, then, as the slices might end up being too flat.

good luck! you're so thoughtful in taking care of your kitty, that i hope he gets a brother or sister as soon as you can!

Edited for too-obvious spelling errors

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats canned. If it's refrigerated the pieces are easy to break like dry food. Except one, my cats do not like it mushy. The canned food has different consistency. The Wellness Core is much firmer than the Wellness Pate. If the cat was separated from the mom at 4-5 weeks she never learned to eat food cut in pieces. Once she's older she should prefer it that way.

Last edited: