Best Time To Neuter?

murphyboy

Murphy’s Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
2647AC92-5B77-4370-AC9A-F495AD64CACB.jpeg Hello, everyone!

I was curious when the best time to neuter my boy? He was born in September.

Being told five months because there is an older cat, older female cat in the same household.

My biggest fear/nightmare is him spraying/peeing everywhere. If he does it, the female will do it as well.

I recently moved in a house and don’t want my house smelling like cat pee. Another fear/nightmare is getting rid of him because if all he will do is mark his territory.

This is him by the way, Murphy. ❤

Pixxelated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a cute boy <3 are the other cats in the household neutered? In theory you can neuter a cat relatively safely as soon as they can be put under anaesthesia safely.

The rule of thumb at shelters where I’m from is, that males get done at around 4 months and females around 6 months. Unless the cat has severe pre-existing conditions that make it dangerous to do so.

You can do it a bit earlier if you want and it’s safe to do so. But I would personally not leave it past the 6 month mark. As a cat will hit puberty between the ages of 4 to 8 months typically.

While him being neutered will be so much better for everyone in the household, including himself. There is no guarantee it will keep him from spraying, unaltered cats are more territorial... but neutered cats have been known to do it too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

murphyboy

Murphy’s Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
What a cute boy <3 are the other cats in the household neutered? In theory you can neuter a cat relatively safely as soon as they can be put under anaesthesia safely.

The rule of thumb at shelters where I’m from is, that males get done at around 4 months and females around 6 months. Unless the cat has severe pre-existing conditions that make it dangerous to do so.

You can do it a bit earlier if you want and it’s safe to do so. But I would personally not leave it past the 6 month mark. As a cat will hit puberty between the ages of 4 to 8 months typically.

While him being neutered will be so much better for everyone in the household, including himself. There is no guarantee it will keep him from spraying, unaltered cats are more territorial... but neutered cats have been known to do it too.
Yes, the female cat is neutered.

Thank you for your reply! Means a lot! I am going to the vet this Tuesday and see what he says as well.

I hope that he turns out to be a loving, great, well behaved and amazing cat and not the opposite. *cross fingers*

Thanks again! Happy holidays! ❤

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

murphyboy

Murphy’s Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
I say the earlier the better. My boy was neutered at just over 2 months old. The younger they are the quicker they recover.
Yup! Exactly what I was told. Earlier the better. I just wanted to make sure it was the right thing that was said. Haha! He is going to be five months old January. Do you think that is okay/early?

Thank you for your reply by the way! Happy Holidays! ❤

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yup! Exactly what I was told. Earlier the better. I just wanted to make sure it was the right thing that was said. Haha! He is going to be five months old January. Do you think that is okay/early?

Thank you for your reply by the way! Happy Holidays! ❤
I think 5 months is fine. I'd do sooner though if there are openings. The only cat I waited for was my girl because I wanted my vet to do it and my vet wanted to wait until she was older. My boys went to a clinic where it was just a weight requirement.

Pixxelated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, the female cat is neutered.

Thank you for your reply! Means a lot! I am going to the vet this Tuesday and see what he says as well.

I hope that he turns out to be a loving, great, well behaved and amazing cat and not the opposite. *cross fingers*

Thanks again! Happy holidays! ❤
Good luck! Keep us updated how he gets on! :)

Happy holidays to you too!