best tasting soft food?

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 15-year old cat just had 8 extractions, so he's on wet food only for 2-weeks. He always gets wet in the morning, but is not real happy about the dry being pulled. He likes his wet food (I and Love and You), but I feel I need to add in something extra special over the next two weeks to get his mind off not having dry available. I don't want "junk food" but also need him to love it. Thoughts? TIA!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
He might like fancy feast classics as a topper. My cats love it. It is high protein,low carb. Shredded chicken in broth. Some times my cat will not eat unless it has freeze dried chicken pure bites or bonita flakes

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Fancy Feast Classics get a bum rap. But they really are a good recipe and highly appealing. My Krista was suffering through resorptive lesions for two years. We'd go through this cycle where her eating would slow way down. I'd bust out the Fancy Feast Classics to get her eating again until I could convince the vet to take new mouth films and find out which teeth or roots were bothering her this time and get those extracted. Even though FF always flared up her IBD (chicken or fish ingredients in every flavor!), I'm grateful that she found them more appealing than starving until we could fix her mouth again. Last fall, I took her to a vet dentist and had her remaining teeth removed to end this madness. She eats Rawz Rabbit Pate on the regular--lately also mixed with Rawz Rabbit and Pumpkin Pate. It's expensive and difficult to find. But it doesn't flare up her IBD.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Fancy Feast Classics get a bum rap. But they really are a good recipe and highly appealing. My Krista was suffering through resorptive lesions for two years. We'd go through this cycle where her eating would slow way down. I'd bust out the Fancy Feast Classics to get her eating again until I could convince the vet to take new mouth films and find out which teeth or roots were bothering her this time and get those extracted. Even though FF always flared up her IBD (chicken or fish ingredients in every flavor!), I'm grateful that she found them more appealing than starving until we could fix her mouth again. Last fall, I took her to a vet dentist and had her remaining teeth removed to end this madness. She eats Rawz Rabbit Pate on the regular--lately also mixed with Rawz Rabbit and Pumpkin Pate. It's expensive and difficult to find. But it doesn't flare up her IBD.
Fancy feast classic is better then most lower cost brand, the only issue that I see is that it has meat by products which can literally mean any meat including horse, dog and cat. But it is far far far better then Friskies that's for sure.

I do find that cats get bored on wet food so you always wanna be feeding different brands and flavors and rotate daily :) My cats love Razw, Tiki cat, and Go. They mainly get raw but I have wet food on hand always just incase the raw hasnt been thawed in time or Fynn becomes a diva. He's so picky that cat but I think its cause he has a sensitive stomach.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby is doing well (knock on wood) with changing out the FF Classic pates daily. I give her all the flavors (except I don't do any fish - no real reason why). So, it is 7 days before she tastes the same flavor again. I do mix it with her urinary care canned food, but still the FF changes the flavor with each new can. So far (again, knock on wood), I haven't had to add any other brand to keep her eating.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy feast classic is better then most lower cost brand, the only issue that I see is that it has meat by products which can literally mean any meat including horse, dog and cat. But it is far far far better then Friskies that's for sure.

I do find that cats get bored on wet food so you always wanna be feeding different brands and flavors and rotate daily :) My cats love Razw, Tiki cat, and Go. They mainly get raw but I have wet food on hand always just incase the raw hasnt been thawed in time or Fynn becomes a diva. He's so picky that cat but I think its cause he has a sensitive stomach.
Actually, AAFCO has a very specific definition for "meat by-products." It is basically unnamed organs, e.g. if they didn't otherwise state "liver" or "heart" on the label, it could be a mix of liver, heart, spleen, etc. In addition, if they don't specifically say what species, it must be cattle, pigs, sheep, or goats. No dogs, cats, or horses!

The Association of American Feed Control Officials > Consumers > What is in Pet Food.
In addition to using the term "meat," the pet food manufacturer may also identify the species from which the meat is derived, such as "beef" or "pork." However, to use the generic term "meat" on the label, it can only be from cattle, pigs, sheep or goats. If it comes from any other mammal, the species must be identified (for example, "buffalo" or "venison"), so you can rest easy that if any other species was used, it would have to be declared. Also, if the muscle is from non-mammalian species, such as poultry or fish, it cannot be declared as "meat" but must use the appropriate identifying terms.

Meat by-products is the non-rendered, clean parts, other than meat, derived from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not limited to, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially de-fatted low temperature fatty tissue, and stomachs and intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth and hoofs. It shall be suitable for use in animal feed. If it bears a name descriptive of its kind, it must correspond thereto.”

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you're worried about the meat-by-products, look for the Fancy Feast Naturals pate line. I recently discovered this line. They don't contain meat-by-products, though they do contain "natural flavors" which can be almost just as ambiguous an ingredient.