Best scale for cat

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have a scale for weighing their cat? What's the best one to get? My cat is 18 lb and should be around 15. I want to monitor his weight so he doesn't lose too fast.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually need to get a scale, too, but for the opposite reason. I need two out of three cats to gain weight.

Most people use baby scales, so I tried to do some research online for good one, but the reviews are always mixed. I guess the idea is that it'll give you a ballpark, even if it's not 100% accurate. I have a really good kitchen scale, but it only goes up to 5 pounds.

I forgot to add this to my "cat shopping list" so I'm glad I found your thread and it reminded me.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe I bought this one several years ago, or one by the same manufacturer. Ritz didn't want to step/stay on it for very long, and the digital light would time out too quickly. And I never could figure out how to re-set the scale to zero (important if you have two cats). I haven't thrown it away, but it's gathering dust.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just bought the Salter baby scale. It's very nice and my cats sit on it with no resistance.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the ones with the potato-chip shaped weighing area (where you put the cat). Makes it less likely the cat moves off the scale.

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a postal scale but it doesn't go up to 18 pounds. I think the limit is 15.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How do you like that Salter scale @molldee  . Is it like the one here? That one looks similar to the one my vet uses.

My problem is that a lot of my cats do not cooperate and some are even touch-me-nots.

Looking at that largish platform scale referenced above by @Ritz  , I thought maybe I could put treats on the platform to lure the cat onto it, but would the scale be able to register a weight while the cat was eating the treats?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've tried a couple of different types of human scales without success. They are not large enough for the cat to typically get all 4 feet on at once.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Why don't you with the human scales weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding the cat then deduct your own weight off. That will give you the weight of your cat

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Susank521, yes that's it. I love my Salter scale. It's very accurate and easy to use. I do have to put my cat on the bed part, and there's a hold button for when they wiggle around.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why don't you with the human scales weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding the cat then deduct your own weight off. That will give you the weight of your cat
Well, that works for those that allow me to pick them up.
 Some would not appreciate that at all! We've got every value on the domesticity spectrum here lol.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@Susank521, yes that's it. I love my Salter scale. It's very accurate and easy to use. I do have to put my cat on the bed part, and there's a hold button for when they wiggle around.
How long do they have to be still for it to register their weight? Do you think putting the treats on there would work?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I see what you mean lol

How about luggage scales ? That is if you could get them into a cat carrier of some sort to weigh them in. :lol3:

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I see what you mean lol

How about luggage scales ? That is if you could get them into a cat carrier of some sort to weigh them in.
That's a thought! It would be good practice, too, getting them in and out of the carrier without anything negative (vet trip) happening. Wouldn't work for all of them, though. Some of them, even if I am able to get them to go onto a scale, I'll have to be across the room and read it with binoculars (seriously!). 

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It registers real time, no waiting except for your cat to stay somewhat still. But it's very easy to use.

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First you need a scale, but we weighed Dandy on our kitchen scale.  First we tried it on the postage scale with her in a box, but that kept tipping.  We got out a large round Tupperware lid (it actually went to a thing that was divided for snacks and dip) and she crawled right into that.  Weighed the cat in it, weighed the lid and subtracted it. I guess that thing looked like a great cat bed.
 Our postage scale only goes to 10# and is very flat so it was hard to see.

If it's important and you are close to the vet's, maybe they will let you come in and weigh them for free.  It can't hurt to ask.  Our one used to have the scale outside the exam rooms and just put the carrier on it, then deducted that.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think our postal scale and many kitchen scales have a tare feature, so if you used a container or carrier you could zero it withthecontainer on the scale.