Best S Boulardii

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kiwi has had very lose stools for the past week, not diarrhea, slightly formed but wet enough to make a mess on her long butt fur. I took her to the vet Monday and she had a thorough examination. Vet didnt find anything wrong and though it may be stress related IBS.
I want to start her on S Boulardii but can only find one in the stores so I will have to order on line. Which is the best for her please. I'm in the UK
This is the one I can get in the stores.
Bioglan Biotic Balance High Strength | Holland & Barrett

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I don't have a S Boulardii suggestion but this product is recommended by vets in Turkey and has good reviews too.

Or its + version.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to this site,
My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

This is the best because the MOS works synergistically with the S Boulardii and it doesn’t contain any lactose or other inappropriate additives.

Jarrow Formulas, Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS, 5 Billion, 90 Veggie Caps
But while s boulardii is effective against diarrhea, loose stools can be caused by any number of things. It would be better to get to the bottom (so to speak 🙊) of why the stools are loose and address that.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista likes the yeast. That made giving it to her for clostridium so much easier than giving her the regular (non-yeast) probiotic for loose stools. In her case, I have a few theories. Primarily, I suspect lymphoma but we’re trying pred alone first. While we’re trying that (and making some progress but no weight gain), I’m also looking at things like reducing the fat in her diet, reducing the pumpkin in her diet, including a little raw to offset higher fat canned, and this weekend, making a new batch of her raw without the egg yolk to test a suspected allergy/intolerance to egg yolk now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks daftcat75 daftcat75 . I have checked and it is available in the UK. Do you know how much I should give her daily?
The vet thinks it may be stress related, I lost one of my cats 2 months ago and Kiwi has been grieving and a thorough check up by the vet on Monday found nothing obvious.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks daftcat75 daftcat75 . I have checked and it is available in the UK. Do you know how much I should give her daily?
The vet thinks it may be stress related, I lost one of my cats 2 months ago and Kiwi has been grieving and a thorough check up by the vet on Monday found nothing obvious.
As a naturopath told me when I was treating Krista’s clostridium, you’ll know when you aren’t giving enough and you’ll know if you gave too much.

I find the smidgen-pinch-dash spoons to be extremely helpful with dosing pills. I believe those Jarrow caps are 1 dash per capsule (1/8 tsp) and each capsule is 250 mg or 5 BIllion CFU, if I remember correctly. The spoons are each 1/2 the one above it. So if 1 dash is the whole capsule, then 1 pinch is a half capsule and 1 smidgen is 1/4 capsule. Try 1/2 twice a day to start. I think s boulardii is safe up to mega doses of 45B CFU. I don’t recommend that. I never gave more than a full capsule (5B CFU) twice a day. And that was usually just long enough to stop the diarrhea—reduce the frequency to normal frequency before reducing to a maintenance dose of 1/4 to 1/2 capsule twice a day (1 smidgen or 1 pinch.)

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats great, thank you so much. I'll order it today

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only use the Jarrow brand. It is the best. Here is an article that might help with dosing. I have found it very useful. I have used S. boullardi for months at a time with a cat that had diarrhea after antibiotics. My son also used it on his kittens when they had coccidia.

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I ordered the Jarrow s boulardii and gave it to Kiwi for 2 days. Today she had a perfect poop. I am so pleased. Thank you all.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazing stuff! I wouldn’t have been able to get Krista through Clostridium without it. Metronidazole only helped for a day or two. We finished the course, of course. But s boulardii was what eventually turned her around.

I also suspect her IBD has become lymphoma as her poops are more often liquid than solid lately and she's barely maintaining her weight despite eating almost twice the recommended calories for a cat her size. We're trying pred. I'm trying s. boulardii again too. The pred keeps her appetite high but is doing little for her poops. The s. boulardii is helping some but I need to be more consistent about it again. She no longer willingly eats it like a topper. But she loves her raw well enough to take a bite-full rolled in the yeast. We had a couple solid poops this week and we're getting close to solid once more. I can almost smell it. 🙊

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Should I give a maintenance dose everyday or just when she needs ?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she likes it, give it everyday. It has great everyday benefits too. Krista got a little sick of the stuff after taking it four times a day for a month this summer. Now I give her half a capsule at noon and at midnight rolled into a bite of her homemade raw.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I gave it for about 2 months to a cat with diarrhea, I whittled it down a little bit each week to see if he was ok without it. It's fine to give every day, but I like to save it for when I really need it. I do give one of my cats with IBD, a daily probiotic ( proviable DC) and this really helps me. I give the S. boullardi if he has a flare.