Best recommendation for flea treatment?

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am looking for some sort of long term (monthly?) flea treatment for our six cats, four of which spend all of their time outside in the farm yard. 

I know flea treatments aren't as effective if you don't treat all of them so, what do you recommend?

I have been told by numerous people since joining TCS that Hartz and Adams products can be very harmful, if not fatal so I have since thrown away all of them and need something new. I am aware Capstar is highly recommended but doesn't it only work for the fleas, larvae and eggs currently on the animal? 

Also any recommendations for yard treatment to get rid of fleas? I know it's a pain in the butt to get rid of them all together, but they seem to be overly bad this year (on our dogs as well).

Thanks in advance! 

Last edited by a moderator:

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Capstar is great but needs to be applied daily so best not for a cat that goes outside daily.  I would look at the top three monthly products, each which works a little differently and takes care of different things.  Revolution, Advantage and Frontline Plus. 

Advatage is great for fleas only.

Frontline plus also kills ticks (which can give your cats worms)

Revolution also protects against ear mites and heartworm and is very good against fleas and controls, prevents round worms and hookworms.

See

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd probably go for the most comprehensive one, Revolution. Down in Georgia you're likely to have more pests living in the farm yard, so try to get them all. Also your dogs would need treatment too as the fleas will just live there.
As for yard treatment, it would be difficult to eliminate pests from that environment. You could try diatomaceous earth around the border. Otherwise you'll be looking at chemical spraying everywhere and you'd have to keep the animals out for a while.
http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! I will look for Revolution products next time I am in town.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have many cats and use Advantage.  I never treat them all as found out when I planned to do half one day and half the next but got sidetracked it still worked fine.  

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try Advantage, but most of GA has complained that it really isn't effective anymore (since early 2000's).  Maybe if there has been a "break" and everyone ran to Frontline and now Revolution for a while, maybe Advantage will work again?  There's also Advantage Multi, but like Revolution you need a prescription for it.  You can buy Revolution online with a vet's prescription. Frontline Plus and Advantage you don't need a prescription.  Advantage II has tick control...is this what you use @catsallaround or are ticks even a problem where you are at?

Ticks are a problem where AlyssaM and I live.  So are sand gnats (biting ones).  Granted, the exact location where I am at we have a truck that fogs our area every so often and it really helps.  I suspect @AlyssaM is in a more rural area since she's on a farm, but I'll let her give more specifics for her needs.  My cats are not on any form of flea/tick control, but my cats eat a lot of B vitamins and there has been anecdotal evidence claiming that it helps repel insects. 

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks peaches08 peaches08 , ticks don't seem to be a problem in our cats I check them regularily but our dogs seem to be tick magnets this year. We definitely do not have a truck that fogs out here... we're lucky if the dirt road gets grated once a month!

Sounds like I'll be buying Frontline II or Advantage II since I wasn't aware it was by vet script only.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look for online pricing.  Many places for a purchase of $___ and above give you free shipping.  Capstar is great for knocking existing fleas off for about 24 hours, and you can also order it online of get it at PetSmart or Tractor Supply.  Actually, Tractor Supply I think was cheaper than PetSmart. Tait's Feed and Seed in Sterling area (near Tractor Supply) will be cheapest for outside spraying chemicals, and like others have mentioned you'll have to corral the animals from it for a little while.  Here is so hot lately, corral in the morning and spray, and by noon or so you'll probably be OK.

Somebody, maybe @catsallaround or @Willowy uses larger tubes of Advantage and carefully disperses it amongst a number of cats...if it isn't them, then maybe they'll know who it was.  In any case that's a money saver!  You might could just do regular Advantage on the kitties and then figure out tick control for the dogs?

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I know right where Tait's is. My boyfriend and I are going that direction on Tuesday (his birthday) so I'l have him stop on the way to Brunswick. We have a 10x10 kennel for the dogs that we put them in at night so I could just put them in there until the chemicals are absorbed/dried. We usually just use a mixture of Permetheren-10 and water on the yard... hasn't seemed to work this year.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I break doses and think Willowy does too.  It is very safe and easy to do but you MUST make sure you really look into it as a few will not break the same.  Stronghold is revolution from another country-have not used it in long time so not sure if it is still obtainable from outside US or the pricing.  

For the REGULAR Advantage I use .8ml for my cats as all are over 9lbs. 

http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/advantage.html

We have a tick issue but have not had the 2 outside cats get any in the 5 years we have been here.  I know a few miles away in the park I have gotten ticks.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh!  Tait's is where you can get food grade diatomaceous earth and use it in the house or on bedding.  I don't know if Tractor Supply has it.

Anyone know if Neem oil is safe for outside spraying?  Used to use it on horses, but I don't want to suggest something and it hurt her dogs, kitties, or other animals.

Happy Birthday to boyfriend!

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We actually have some of that diatomaceous earth in our work shop. I found it earlier but I have no idea how it works or where to use it lol.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe so.  The last bit I bought was in middle GA.  They'll understand what food-grade means though.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found this at Walmart today... has anyone used it? It was on display and on sale... says "Compares to Frontline brand products".