Best Products For Cleaning Cat Vomit Off A Wood Floor?

entlaufene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My senior cat has kidney problems and food intolerances, so vomit happens. I used to use vinegar to clean up her messes, but now I live in a house with a pretty nice wood floor that I have no idea how to take care of. But I heard that vinegar is harsh on wood. So what should I clean up the vomit spots with that won't mess up the finish on the floor? Or won't mess it up any more than the vomit, anyway.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, the acidity of the vomit is probably worse than a 1% vinegar solution if you are just doing a quick spray and wipe.
Otherwise just use a good wood floor cleaner.
When I was cleaning houses, I always liked Murphy's Oil Soap products. I believe there is a spray version these days, but if you get the old fashioned MOS, be sure to follow the directions for use. I once had a customer who used it directly on her floors, not realizing it was supposed to be diluted into a solution (oops!).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the hard floor cleaner for cats like was suggested above. I have also used several others not made specifically for hard floors and have never had any damage. Get a throw rug, cats make a beeline for them when they are throwing up. It's much easier to clean the floor than a rug!

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the hard floor cleaner for cats like was suggested above. I have also used several others not made specifically for hard floors and have never had any damage. Get a throw rug, cats make a beeline for them when they are throwing up. It's much easier to clean the floor than a rug!
I wish my cats would do something like that! They just vomit wherever they happen to be. On the floor, the carpet, a blanket, in my lap (let me tell you how terribly unfun it is being sprayed with cat vomit), in the bed, on the sofa, clean laundry... Belit especially, she climbs onto the highest location she can find nearby and projectile vomits all over the walls.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love Method Cleaners!! They are natural, safe, smell amazing and actually work better than anything I’ve tried. Most natural cleaners just don’t CLEAN, and I gave up on them years ago and went back to the good chemical stuff that really cleans. Then I found these at Target, the wood cleaner smells like almonds, the stone cleaner is pomegranate, and there are various all purpose sprays like grapefruit, lavender, apple and mandarin. I don’t like the antibacterial one, all soaps are antibacterial anyways, there’s not need for the harsh stuff. I’ve also found them at the grocery store, try them!! Guests always comment on how good they smell, and I’ve had at least six friends change to them! I’m not a fan of the bathroom one either, but the all purpose (the cut grease so well too) wood and stone are wonderful. They also sell big refills to save money. Method Cleaning Products Daily Wood Cleaner Almond Spray Bottle 28 fl oz

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Prefinished hardwood floors are cleaned differently than ones that are finished after they are installed in the house. My oak floors are prefinished and I use Bruce Dura Luster no wax hardwood floor cleaner. Water can damage some finishes of prefinished woods so be careful what you use. I would test it in someone in a corner or under something first.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the recommendation of method products ... great scents and non-toxic, and really get the job done. I've been using their products for about a decade (originally found at Target, there's no Target here, but I have found them in my grocery and online).

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have polyurethaned hardwood floors through out my home and my previous cat puked several times a week at least. Of course it comes up best when it’s wet but when it has dried I just lay a paper towel dampened in extra hot water over the spot for a minute or two and then just wipe it up with another. I never use sprays because I don’t want to get the floor too wet.

M&M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a real hardwood floor and sometimes my cat vomits. I clean it right away with water and then a wipe with a paper towel in a 10% bleach solution, then immediately another with plain water and dry it. I have no trouble. Sometimes I use baby wipes and that seems fine too.
My senior cat has kidney problems and food intolerances, so vomit happens. I used to use vinegar to clean up her messes, but now I live in a house with a pretty nice wood floor that I have no idea how to take care of. But I heard that vinegar is harsh on wood. So what should I clean up the vomit spots with that won't mess up the finish on the floor? Or won't mess it up any more than the vomit, anyway.