Best procedure for kidney disease

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, he said her creatine levels were at a 3.6. The higher range is a 2.8, so a 3.6 honestly doesn't seem like it's that bad? Especially because I was reading that kidney failure doesn't start until it reaches 5.0?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
stephanietx stephanietx I had no idea you had another CKD cat. Sorry to hear that :hugs: I remember so well when you were helping me with my Sven and his diet when your Callie was going through this. Then MY Callie went through it as well. Seems like a never ending cycle :frown:
My Hannah, who brought me to TCS in 2005, was diagnosed earlier this year with the beginning stages of CKD.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just talked to the vet and he said at this point I have two options; putting her down now or taking her home to be here for however long she has left. Obviously I will be taking her home. He said that he isn't sure if it will be a day, a week, or a month before her remaining kidney shuts down. He did mention sub-Q fluids as a support plan. I will definitely concider that because I think in the long run it would be beneficial. If anyone has done this for their cats before, let me know if you think it helped their quality of life. At this point I'm aiming for quality over quantity. He said that at this point, we're asking for a miracle for her to recover from this.
While she is home, I will have her in a grain free wet food (her phosphorus levels are normal so I'm not too concerned with that portion) I'll keep her on water additive electrolytes, Omega 3s, and a multivitamin just to ensure she's getting everything she needs.

If anyone has any other suggestions for supplements, please share. I know they can't cure her, but I want her to be as healthy and happy as she can be for her remaining time here.

Thank you all for your support and advice, I really appreciate it and it helped to keep me semi-sane throughout this whole process.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just talked to the vet and he said at this point I have two options; putting her down now or taking her home to be here for however long she has left. Obviously I will be taking her home. He said that he isn't sure if it will be a day, a week, or a month before her remaining kidney shuts down. He did mention sub-Q fluids as a support plan. I will definitely concider that because I think in the long run it would be beneficial. If anyone has done this for their cats before, let me know if you think it helped their quality of life. At this point I'm aiming for quality over quantity. He said that at this point, we're asking for a miracle for her to recover from this.
While she is home, I will have her in a grain free wet food (her phosphorus levels are normal so I'm not too concerned with that portion) I'll keep her on water additive electrolytes, Omega 3s, and a multivitamin just to ensure she's getting everything she needs.

If anyone has any other suggestions for supplements, please share. I know they can't cure her, but I want her to be as healthy and happy as she can be for her remaining time here.

Thank you all for your support and advice, I really appreciate it and it helped to keep me semi-sane throughout this whole process.
I'm so sorry the news wasn't better. I don't have any advice for you from this point but just wanted to say I think you're doing the absolute best thing for her. Her clock may be ticking fast but I think she can have a good quality of life for a while, which is the best any of us can hope for, really!

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much! It's definitely my goal to make her quality of life as good as possible at this point. She's been home since Monday afternoon and is doing really well concidering. She's eating and drinking, using the litter box, and seems to be a bit more active than she was a few weeks ago. She's experiencing some nasua so I'm going to see if I can get her on some aluminum hydroxide which I've been reading is a good way to help with cats who are throwing up. Hopefully if she isn't feeling sick, it will encourage her to eat even more.

I have her eating wet food several times throughout the day with additional water mixed in. I also plan on talking to the vet about starting fluid injections. It's all a matter of time I know, but with everyone's suggestions and advice, it has definitely helped to prepare me for taking good care of her in her final days here.