Best Potassium Supplement For Ckd Kitty

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 17 year old girl with Stage 2 CKD has low Potassium of 3.5 (3.7-5.2mmol/L) and IM vet has prescribed Potassium supplementation of 2 mEq twice daily. Vet suggested a Potassium gel, but my girl does not like liquids/gels put in her mouth and I'm afraid I would be wearing most of it. I understand this gel has a "maple flavor" which does not sound very palatable.

The Tanya's website lists various Potassium supplements in powder or tablet form which I think would be preferable. Has anyone used these with success? I think something I could sprinkle on her food (if it did not affect the taste) or a tablet I could crush up on her food or put into an empty gel capsule would be better.

I am open to suggestions and I thank you in advance.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no experience with this. But have you talked to the Vet? They may have a different recommendation on something that would work best. That would be my first suggestion.

Best of luck too her!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Renal K comes in a "palatable powder" and is supposedly ok for cats as long as they are not in advanced kidney disease. Got good reviews on Amazon. None of my kidney cats ever needed potassium, so I don't have any first hand experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies. My vet does not care which form of Potassium I use, just that I get 2 mEq in her twice a day.

The powdered Renal K looks promising, so will try that first and hope I can mask it in food.

Apparently 30% of CKD kitties have low Potassium early in the disease, and my girl is one. I can see the effects even now...low energy, decreased appetite and a slight quivering of the legs. Hope the supplement helps.