Best pheromone diffuser for introducing cats?

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! I'm introducing my new kitten Jonathan (3 months) to my resident cats Finn (4.5 years) and Anya (2.5 years). Finn's the dominant kitty of the household and super bonded to Anya, who's much more skittish. As expected he's throwing a literal hissy fit about having this stranger in his house, and while he's still eating/drinking/using the litter box, I feel so bad for my grumpy man and want him to be as unstressed as possible during the introduction process.

I was considering plugging in some calming diffusers, but I've seen such mixed reviews about diffuser products: do people recommend them? If so, is there a certain brand you'd recommend?

Pictures of my furbabies :) Can't wait until everyone's able to be in the same room together! Jojo's the little tabby, Finn's the orange tabby (second picture is him sulking in his tree after Jonathan came home...), and Anya's the massive fuzzball.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your new family member! I've tried Feliway, Comfort Zone, and Relaxivet. Of those, Comfort Zone Multicat works the best for me. I can tell when they run out as the cats start fussing at each other more. I just ordered ThunderEase to try, and will report back. I'd put my money on Comfort Zone Multicat, though (the multicat part is important).

I integrated a young cat with my 8-9 year old alpha over this past year. It has been a real roller coaster, but a year after I brought the young one in, they are finally settling down. Both cats are dominant so it's been a real process! I've had success crumbling these chews and adding them to their food. Depending on how your resident cats adjust, just an additional tool in your tool box if needed:
Amazon.com : PremiumCare Calming Treats for Dogs - Made In USA - Helps With Dog Anxiety, Separation, Barking, Stress Relief, Thunderstorms and More - Natural Calming Relaxer for Aggressive Behavior - 120 Chews : Pet Supplies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Adorable cats/kitty!! I have never used diffusers, but have read enough posts on this site to know that not all work on all cats. So, given that, maybe you would want to go through the ones in these links and see which might work for your group?
The 10 Best Cat Pheromone Diffusers of 2020 (Reviews) - Pet Loves Best
Best Cat Pheromone Diffusers - PetGuide
Congrats on your new family member! I've tried Feliway, Comfort Zone, and Relaxivet. Of those, Comfort Zone Multicat works the best for me. I can tell when they run out as the cats start fussing at each other more. I just ordered ThunderEase to try, and will report back. I'd put my money on Comfort Zone Multicat, though (the multicat part is important).

I integrated a young cat with my 8-9 year old alpha over this past year. It has been a real roller coaster, but a year after I brought the young one in, they are finally settling down. Both cats are dominant so it's been a real process! I've had success crumbling these chews and adding them to their food. Depending on how your resident cats adjust, just an additional tool in your tool box if needed:
Amazon.com : PremiumCare Calming Treats for Dogs - Made In USA - Helps With Dog Anxiety, Separation, Barking, Stress Relief, Thunderstorms and More - Natural Calming Relaxer for Aggressive Behavior - 120 Chews : Pet Supplies
Thank you both so so much for your replies!!

I just ordered the Comfort Zone Multicat diffuser - it seemed like people also had good things to say about the Feliway one, so if Comfort Zone isn't working with my kitties, I'll give Feliway a try. I also put a Sentry calming collar on Finn which seems to have helped a little bit? He's been purring and acting like his normal self, rather than being super on edge.

Buffster, how old was the young cat? I was hoping with Jonathan being three months the integration would go smoother, but I guess I'll have to see how each of the cats are reacting!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so so much for your replies!!

I just ordered the Comfort Zone Multicat diffuser - it seemed like people also had good things to say about the Feliway one, so if Comfort Zone isn't working with my kitties, I'll give Feliway a try. I also put a Sentry calming collar on Finn which seems to have helped a little bit? He's been purring and acting like his normal self, rather than being super on edge.

Buffster, how old was the young cat? I was hoping with Jonathan being three months the integration would go smoother, but I guess I'll have to see how each of the cats are reacting!
Not that I'm very experienced, but I think I've read that kittens integrate much quicker! My young cat was already 1.5 yrs old when I trapped him and took him in. You should have a MUCH smoother time of it! Good luck, and share some pics if you get a chance. We looooove pics. :)

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I used the Feliway multicat diffusers some years ago and didn't see any effect. Some (probably many) cats they do work though. I hope they do for yours!
It may take a couple of months or more for the adults to totally adjust to Jonathan so don't lose hope!

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used the Feliway multicat diffusers some years ago and didn't see any effect. Some (probably many) cats they do work though. I hope they do for yours!
It may take a couple of months or more for the adults to totally adjust to Jonathan so don't lose hope!
A lot of the reviews seem to say that, or that it only started working after a week or so — and that just makes me wonder if it didn't work, and the cats progressed naturally in that amount of time that they assume it did haha. I guess either way it can't hurt!

A bouncing ball of energy is a big change but I have high hopes! I think when I introduced Anya, she and Finn really seemed to meld and accept each other at two months... it's been sweet looking back at my early pictures of them, and also reassuring knowing how close they are now and how Finn was just as pissy when he met her too haha.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
A bouncing ball of energy is a big change but I have high hopes! I think when I introduced Anya, she and Finn really seemed to meld and accept each other at two months... it's been sweet looking back at my early pictures of them, and also reassuring knowing how close they are now and how Finn was just as pissy when he met her too haha.
Yeah it was about 2 months that I think Waffles and Mooshoo were over the hump.

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah it was about 2 months that I think Waffles and Mooshoo were over the hump.
I need a calming pheromone diffuser for me too! It's so stressful when there's so much hissing and tension in the cats I love. :(

VoidIndigo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is really an interesting thread... I just went through a urinary blockage with Milo and one of the things recommended by the vet was a calming diffuser. I'm using the Feliway Classic and I think it's making a difference. One of the things my girlfriend noticed is that he tries to spray a lot, but he's fixed. So, he can't get the scent out... but maybe the pheromone diffuser is helping with that urge or the stress of not "succeeding" at spraying?

I'm not 100% sure about this one, but it SEEMS to be working so I'm thinking I'll stick with it... they're not cheap though! Is it worth trying different ones? Or once you start something, is it better to stick with the one you're using?

Thanks!

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! I'm introducing my new kitten Jonathan (3 months) to my resident cats Finn (4.5 years) and Anya (2.5 years). Finn's the dominant kitty of the household and super bonded to Anya, who's much more skittish. As expected he's throwing a literal hissy fit about having this stranger in his house, and while he's still eating/drinking/using the litter box, I feel so bad for my grumpy man and want him to be as unstressed as possible during the introduction process.

I was considering plugging in some calming diffusers, but I've seen such mixed reviews about diffuser products: do people recommend them? If so, is there a certain brand you'd recommend?

Pictures of my furbabies :) Can't wait until everyone's able to be in the same room together! Jojo's the little tabby, Finn's the orange tabby (second picture is him sulking in his tree after Jonathan came home...), and Anya's the massive fuzzball.
Feliway Friends

HateFeliway

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feliway STAINED one of my walls! And they won't return my phones calls OR my e-mails. The diffuser was in place for ONE month, and no it was not under anything, it was eight feet down from the ceiling! UGH! And if you go on their site, under "troubleshooting. they OPENLY STATE this can be a problem, and offer no remedy for this! THEY SHOULD HAVE THIS AS A WARNING WHEN YOU BUY IT! Who wants something that can STAIN THEIR WALLS?