Best odour control litter?

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As the title says really. Our litter trays STINK even with cleaning as soon as they go (while we're at home) i wash the whole thing weekly with the hose and soap too. Even when theres no mess in them they stink. Currently using Tigerino clumping litter.
Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much does that work out at? We got 3 cats

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are you feeding the cats? It's well known that dry food causes really smelly poop. Dry food not really all that digestible because of all the fillers so it all comes out as smelly poop. Cats on canned food diets have less stinky poop and most raw fed cats have nearly odorless poop.

Is the area where the litter boxes are well ventilated? Maybe add a few non scented odor absorbers near the litter box. A sprinkle of baking soda in the litter box will help with odor control.

What country are you in and what brands of litters are available there?

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Theyre on carny kitten wet food. Yes its all open plan in the house and near the door so everytime its opened it gets fresh air. We're in england

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a Pets at Home near you?. They have quite a good selection of litter marked as odour free and some varieties have small and large quantities so you could try a small one to see if it's what you want.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the States, so I don't know if it's available in England, but Fresh Step is odor-free. It has Febreeze in it. I only scoop 2 to 3 times a week, and there is still no odor.

Felix19+

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found Thomas Cat Litter the best - so easy to clean out the clumps and no smells

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of odor is it? Poop odor, ammonia odor, wet clay odor, etc.? How many litterboxes do you have? Are all the cats neutered?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are you feeding the cats? It's well known that dry food causes really smelly poop. Dry food not really all that digestible because of all the fillers so it all comes out as smelly poop. Cats on canned food diets have less stinky poop and most raw fed cats have nearly odorless poop.

Is the area where the litter boxes are well ventilated? Maybe add a few non scented odor absorbers near the litter box. A sprinkle of baking soda in the litter box will help with odor control.

What country are you in and what brands of litters are available there?
Yup, if you want less litterbox odor you'd be better off changing their food than the litter. A good limited ingredient (limited ingredient as in 95%+ meat) or raw diet will have nearly odorless poop, and less of it. Normal Cat poop is small, relatively dry, and nearly odorless. The giant smelly logs or piles you get from Cats that are fed mostly dry food or low quality wet food are not normal.

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its like old urine smell mixed with the clay. They are fed wet food (carny kitten cans) they have 4 boxes but all insist on using the same 2 🤷‍♀️ boys are done yes, girl isnt spayed yet

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But you change the litter weekly? Hmm. Might be time to try another litter. There are some that just don't work.

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I empty the whole lot weekly amd wash the trays out yes. I do regular scooping and replacing scooped litter several times a day. My dad picked up a paper one today. Biocatolet. We'll see how it goes

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If arm and hammer slide is available there. I use this and it works awesome.

Is cannery a generic brand of food? never heard of it. Some store brands are really good but others are terrible. If it has unspecified meat for example that could be contributing to the smell.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard good things about Brit pet trays used with wood pellet litter. The tray itself is a little expensive but once you have the tray the litter is very economical. You can use any brand wood litter.
Clever Sieve Litter Tray Systems for Wood Pellet Litter
They are a UK company.
Does such a thing exist for clumping clay litter? My boy refuses to use anything but clay. He will hold it until he has an accident if I use pellets.

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It also might be time for a new litter box. The tiny scratches in the plastic can hold on to odor even with weekly cleaning. I try to replace my girls boxes about every year to year and a half and that, along with World's Best has helped keep some smell down.