Best litter for senior with kidney failure

jc1384

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning all! I have an almost 16yo old lady cat that has kidney failure and thus pees...A LOT. I can’t seem to find a litter that can keep up with the amount of pee. Also an issue is that she tends to pee in only 1-2 certain areas of the litter box that they become saturated quickly. I like the more natural clumping litters, but am open to any and all suggestions that have worked well for you. I have tried Naturally Fresh (which is my absolute favorite, but I just can’t get over the dust), worlds best (it gets moldy), Frisco grass litter (gets pretty smelly with so much pee) and Dr. Elsey’s senior cat crystal litter (too much pee and it ends up wreaking after only a few short days) now sWheat scoop (which I don’t feel clumps very well). Any suggestions are appreciated!!
Thank you!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use pine pellets, they swell in the area that has been peed on making it easy to scope just that area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jc1384

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering if those would work well or not. I might just have to give that a try. How often do you need to change the litter with the pellets?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two cats, I scoop everytime its used and top up with a little more. I only completely empty about once a fortnight.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She might find the feel of them different under her paws in which case mix a couple of handfuls with her ordinary litter and over the course of a week transition to all pine.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would use an unscented clumping litter and line the box with a puppy pad. It keeps the litter drier and also the corner clumps won’t stick to the box. I use OFF brand extra large pads, pay $25 online for a box of 60 and change the pad once a week. You might need to change it twice a week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jc1384

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is a good idea! I already use puppy pads on the floor in front of her litter box because sometimes she misses 😳, so I already have some I could try out.