Best Litter For Long Hairs

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this has been discussed, probably adnauseum. Sorry, however,

I have four cats, two short hair and two fuzzy butts.

I searched for a long time for a great litter that does not stick to the fuzzy butts so they carry around half of the clumping litter. I found Okocat Natural Wood Long Hair Breeds Cat Litter.

It works very, very well as far as not sticking to their fuzzy butts, however, all of them track it all over the house. And I mean all over. I have been vacuuming almost every day and have come to the point as to wonder which I am dislike more, the clumpy fuzzy butts, or following their trails with a vacuum.

Is there any wise advice out here?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
There are paper litters that don't track and don't stick. The brand I used for several years was Yesterday's News. The pellets are on the large side however and some cats don't like the feel.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the clumping litter, did you make sure it was at least 3 inches deep? If not, it stays wet and clumps to the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank both of you. I did have three inches of clay litter and it still clumped to them. I did not try the paper litter, I went to the wood. It is large pellets so maybe changing slowly to the paper will not be bad. I think I will get some and try it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I used the paper for several years while my cat suffered from cancer in her lungs that metasticized to two paws. She had open sores and the paper didn't stick to them, so hopefully it won't your cats rear. Paper litter isn't clumping by the way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now, my 16 year old long-haired cat has started peeing just outside the box. I did a bit of research and found this extensive blog by Lisa Pierson, DMV on litter and litter boxes. She says to use clumping litter. I think I will stay with my litter, and just vacuum. The Litter Box From Your Cat’s Point of View

I also found some puppy training pads to put around the boxes. Then I can pick them up and toss them. I have heavy rubber carpets around them that I had to hose-wash with a brush and Dawn. Now with the pads, I can throw them away if she misses.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a male cat that didn't consider any litter that wasn't made of clay as litter. You have to go with what the cats allow you to.