Best food for cat with megasophegus?

gusgus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I signed up a little while ago but haven't posed anything yet. I'm wondering if anyone that's gone through this has suggestions.

November 15th I rescued a male cat that's been literally through hell and back and one of the issues we are working with is his megasophegus condition.

I tried canned wet food but he vomited that up every time he ate it. I have another cat that eats a holistic brand of hard food that I give him but I just add water and wet it and mush it up to a soupy consistency. He's been doing really well on this food but does have spurts of vomiting, not regurgitation as it's usually many hours after he's eaten. He'll go days or a week or more without anything happening but then will have a day where he vomits quite a bit throughout the day or over a couple days. The vet thinks he may also have acid reflux which would contribute so I am wanting to possibly try another food that his sensitive stomach can tolerate and will be easy going down. After the holidays I will see if my vet can give him something to help with the acid reflux but in the mean time, I'd like to try something else that might be easier on him.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@GusGus

Here are some links on the illness, a common suggestion is to feed liquified food in an elevated position so it gets into the stomach instead of stuck in the esophagus.  One of the articles also says this illness when in cats is usually secondary to some other illnesses.

http://www.petcarerx.com/article/how-do-you-treat-megaesophagus-in-cats/2801

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/10/29/megaesophagus-disorder.aspx

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/digestive/c_ct_megaesophagus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gusgus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've read everything I can find on the subject but there is very little information regarding cats with mega e, everything I find is about dogs.

I have been giving him liquid food, it's just hard food that I make into liquid form and I have tried wet canned food in a couple brands, but he throws them up as well. I'm just wanting to try a food that he might be less likely to throw up

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you added water to the wet food to turn it into a slurry mush?

You could also suppliment the dry with human baby food chicken stage one (only stage one). Very palatable, but not completely balanced as its just chicken.

LLoydE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been making the slurry for the past 6 weeks. and I don't know if I got it right.. but I think I got it close. Take a big spoon and crush the food into the bottom of the bowl. then add 1/8 cup of water to the bowl and mush it together. when you got the thick mush. add the rest of the water and it. I found that If you fold it into the mush. it will become easier to stir and it becomes the good slurry. hope this helps. oh yeah.. don't forget to grab the from the bottom of the bowl.