Best food for cat with CKD

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gosh, how strange that she reacted that way to a shot in her scruff :frown:. We used to give our old girl injections there quite often, and she never knew what hit her. We'd do it while she was getting loving and she was so into that that seriously she never felt a thing.

Well, at least she's eating. That's very important.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bananamillie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've tried everything.
She's now refusing even plain treats because she suspects that there's meds hidden inside.

The option that's worked best for us is using a liquid form of the med and using a syringe to push it in her mouth.
It takes us a couple of tries but we're able to make sure that she's getting most of her dose this way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bananamillie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens I believe the Cerenia burns for some cats when administered subQ, which might be why she reacted that way.

She was eating great until last night, and now I fear there's been a dip in her appetite again. Hoping it's just a phase and she eats more again. Will put out a sampler for her of different foods she might like.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens Thank you for sharing your experience!

Yes, I agree, the k/d food is not helping. My cat hates it and she does reluctantly eat it; but much less than she used to eat of her normal food.

I looked at Tanya's list and figured out a few options to try out which are low in phosphorous. Did you use a phosphorous binder with your kitties? If you don't mind me asking, did you think following their normal diet advanced their kidney disease?
I'm trying to judge quality of life vs quality. At this point it seems like k/d food is a lose-lose situation since my cat isn't eating much of it and decline in weight isn't great for kidneys either.

Did you use appetite enhancers (e.g. food toppers) or appetite stimulants?
Our vet suggested that we try Mirtazapine (appetite stimulant) to get her to eat her k/d food. It worked for the first dose and then she was sick of the k/d food again. I also think its resulted in her drinking less water.

Yes, she is getting Cosequin and Omega 3 supplements for her arthritis. She also gets weekly anti-inflammatory shots of Adequan.
If we feel like she is in too much discomfort, we do give her Onsior, which is an NSAID. It's not good for the kidneys either so we're a bit cautious with that one.
I'm also considering accupuncture, laser therapy or CBD. Please let me know if you have any suggestions?

Thank you!!
that does seem like a lot of adequan? i have been told once a month? my cat had major surgery for FGESF>she is on rx hypoallergenic diet and does well. she started with poop issues and now gets VISBIOME(rx probiotic) once daily mixed with purina focus duck and she loves it. plus NO MORE poop issues. stools r normal! i am not a fan of giving her a lot of meds. she takes 5 mg daily of pred to keep the disease in ck. they removed a portion of her colon w/fgesf and she still hs over 40 staples holding her together.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've tried everything.
She's now refusing even plain treats because she suspects that there's meds hidden inside.

The option that's worked best for us is using a liquid form of the med and using a syringe to push it in her mouth.
It takes us a couple of tries but we're able to make sure that she's getting most of her dose this way.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i cant syringe her either. and i refuse to allienate her. her daily pred is reformulated into a chicken flavord chewy that she has willingly taken 4 years! i tried ev reformulation poss fr 2 pet pharms with the metronidazole to no avail. at th vets ofc she would clench her teeth. and it was a challenge getting her in the carrier. her onco for the fgesf wanted to do more tests i refused. she suspected ibd or lymphoma. she called a collegue who rec the visbiome. and it has been like a miracle. worth every penny!

Attachments