Best food for 11 month old male cat with 2 large stones in his bladder

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 11 month old male cat was diagnosed with having 2 large stones in his bladder, had X-rays done which spotted them. He was suppose to get a urine culture done also but because they couldn’t get a sterile sample they couldn’t do it. He was given an antibiotic (in case there was a infection in bladder) and a pain killer to take every 12 hours as needed and they told me his diet needs to be changed to a special diet for urinary tract, such as Hills or Royal. I’ve looked at the ingredients and they seem to mostly have vegetables, such as potatoes and peas. I’ve read in articles that cats don’t need vegetables, they are meat eaters.
I’m confused on what is the best food plus one that he’s going to eat. Tried last night and he wouldn’t touch them. Has anyone had an experience with any food that they had good luck with (helping bladder stones)? Is there any type of food other than the “special diet” that has helped your cat get rid of the stones...I have numerous indoor cats and find the “special” diet ones are very expense plus my cat isn’t interested in eating. But want to say the cost would be worth it if they would help and if he would eat them. Also, has anyone heard of any med that actually dissolves the stones? I’ve also read the special diet foods are not that great...
Would appreciate any advice etc..

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
The most common causes of bladder stones in cats, to my knowledge, are poor diet, dehydration, UT inflammation or infection, and excess minerals in the urine. As such, I’d stick with feeding your typical wet food, going for something high protein, low carb, and not going with vet recommendations in this instance — you’re not obligated to feed vet foods, especially given your cat won’t eat them, and you have doubts about it. You could always tell your vet that your cat completely refuses the vet food, and ask what else you could feed. It’s hard to give a specific recommendation until you know the specific cause of the stones (e.g. he could need a reduced phosphate diet for a while). Could you try and get his urine tested again?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He had a urinalysis done last week and the vet said he doesn’t have UTI but has some type of bacteria/infection so she put him on an antibiotic. Was on it for a week but I couldn’t see any difference in his behavior (poor appetite and wasn’t his normal active self, peeing very little at each litter box trip). I called vet and asked if they could do urine culture. He was at the vet all day on Wednesday (as explained in my previous post). When I brought him home I couldn’t get him to eat anything. On Thursday morning he was very hungry but wouldn’t eat the diet food so I gave him his regular food which he ate very well and drank afterwards.
But I couldnt get to eat any of the special diet food. Didn’t eat for the rest of the day. This morning he drank a nice amount of water and I opened a different brand/type of diet food, thank goodness he gave a little less than 1/4 of a 5 oz can. But I’ve offered him more thru out the morning and he’s not interested.
I haven’t noticed him drinking now. He was given the pain pill, gabapentin, to take every 12 hours, seems like it makes him sluggish but was told it might. I haven’t given it to him today, I’m waiting for a call back from the vet. They also put him on a different antibiotic to take every 24 hours. I’m literally at my wits end because I don’t know what else I can do to help him.
I was told the special urinary diet food should help dissolve the stones ( but she doesn’t know exactly the type of stones he has). And he should strictly stay on the diet otherwise when and if he’s able to get another urinalysis and culture it might not be accurate.
***sorry, after reading my previous post I’ve repeated some things....
I’ve tried reading some cat food labels and find them confusing, to be honest I don’t think any are much good. Too much fillers, food coloring etc.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I take it your cat has struvite crystals, which can be dissolved generally through a specialized diet, and most vets do recommend the urinary care foods to help with this. But, if those stones are oxalate, there is only one way to get rid of them - via surgery. Oxalate stones do not dissolve.

There are canned version of both Hill's and RC you could try if what he is getting now are the dry versions. At least with the canned versions, the first 4-5 ingredients are meat related, even though they do contain some other 'unnecessary' stuff.

But, if he is also refusing the canned versions, I agree with telling the vet your cat won't eat the food and ask what other options you have.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response. I’ve been trying to get him to eat the can diet food.
How can they determine what type of bladder stones he has?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for your response. I’ve been trying to get him to eat the can diet food. How can they determine what type of bladder stones he has?
Typically the sediment found in a urinalysis will identify the type of crystals/stones. There are a couple of other types of stones/crystals, which I am less familiar with. I've included an article link below that discusses crystals found in a cat's urine.

Purina One also has a urinary care food, as does Wysong - both come in canned as well as dry, and are not prescription. Maybe you could try those and ask the vet about them if your cat should like one or both of these.
Crystals in the Urine in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost (wagwalking.com)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My 11 month old male cat was diagnosed with having 2 large stones in his bladder, had X-rays done which spotted them. He was suppose to get a urine culture done also but because they couldn’t get a sterile sample they couldn’t do it. He was given an antibiotic (in case there was a infection in bladder) and a pain killer to take every 12 hours as needed and they told me his diet needs to be changed to a special diet for urinary tract, such as Hills or Royal. I’ve looked at the ingredients and they seem to mostly have vegetables, such as potatoes and peas. I’ve read in articles that cats don’t need vegetables, they are meat eaters.
I’m confused on what is the best food plus one that he’s going to eat. Tried last night and he wouldn’t touch them. Has anyone had an experience with any food that they had good luck with (helping bladder stones)? Is there any type of food other than the “special diet” that has helped your cat get rid of the stones...I have numerous indoor cats and find the “special” diet ones are very expense plus my cat isn’t interested in eating. But want to say the cost would be worth it if they would help and if he would eat them. Also, has anyone heard of any med that actually dissolves the stones? I’ve also read the special diet foods are not that great...
Would appreciate any advice etc..

thank you
I have just started using farmina for urinary canned so don't know if it works. It has 2 ingredients in it that are supposed to help. You can find it at a small pet store,not online or petco

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately my cat passed away last week. But thank you for the info. It’s very hard finding a good food for cats with or without health issues.