Best flea/tick treatment (plus other parasites) non prescription?

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I want to treat my feral for fleas, ticks, whatever I can. Is there a best non-prescription treatment?

I get worried about all the side effects I see on most options.

Alternately, could I walk into a vet's office and buy Revolution? My feral has never seen a vet (as far as I know.) thanks!

(Other than TNR procedure, done by former residents.) I "inherited" KittyKat when we bought the house. Not sure what vet did the procedure.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only topical one I know of is the Frontline products - fleas, ticks, and lice only. I am not sure if some or all vets would require you to have a cat in their care/service in order to allow you to do a walk in & purchase. Odds are they would, or at least some of them would. Maybe you could call around to see?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Thoughts on Frontline? Or is Revolution really better?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I prefer the topicals that are not supposed to enter the bloodstream - Frontline does not. Revolution does. That's just my personal preference. There are tons of folks on this site that use one or the other without issue.

The only other thing to note about the Advantage II mentioned above, which also does not enter the bloodstream, it doesn't kill ticks or lice as I understand. The Advantage Multi that also kills Hookworms, Roundworms, Ear Mites, Heartworm, but not ticks and lice I believe requires a prescription just like Revolution.

Last edited:

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Having pulled some ticks out already... it's time to protect myself as well as my cat! I will call my Feral Cat society if I can't just buy Revolution. I get weirded out by the neuro problems of some of these formulas, the Revolution looks the best.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I get weirded out by the neuro problems of some of these formulas, the Revolution looks the best.
I am not sure Revolution covers ticks. I know Revolution Plus does, but that contains one of the chemicals you are worried about - it has one of the isoxazline class of drugs which does carry a warning about possible seizures/neurological issues.

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you. How do folks treat their cats? I really want to give Kitty a treatment, I am so scared it will hurt her. (I read the one star reviews on Amazon... probably not a good idea.)

But this year the bugs and crawlies are coming early. What do cat owners do for fleas and ticks? Just apply and hope for the best?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Give her the Frontline or the Frontline Plus. It is just my personal opinion, but it is probably the 'safest' above and beyond Advantage II, which won't work for you since you want to treat ticks. (Read more than just Amazon reviews too.)

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. This saves me a trip to ??? some random vet in my city ???

Much appreciate the support. !!! And Kitty says thank you too.

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi My Frontline came today, It's my first time ever (so patience, please....) Kitty weighs maybe 7 pounds. Do I use the whole tube? Or just part of it? Thanks! A little scared but feel this is the year I need to do it... appreciate the support.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi My Frontline came today, It's my first time ever (so patience, please....) Kitty weighs maybe 7 pounds. Do I use the whole tube? Or just part of it? Thanks! A little scared but feel this is the year I need to do it... appreciate the support.
What does the Frontline instructions say?

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It says for cats over 1.5 pounds. My neighbor down the street has cousins to this feral Kitty, and she told me she only uses half an application as her cats (ferals, too) reacted to the treatment. She may have used Advantage... not sure.

Just wondering if people normally just use the whole amount? Thanks.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have not ever used Frontline (not for any particular reason) but always carefully followed weight and dosing instructions on whichever product I was using and never had a problem. In my case, always Advantage or Revolution. Yes, cats can react to these products with skin problems or salivation, but the likelihood is small in most cats. When you apply it, make sure it does not drip so that she can lick it. That is about the only precaution I have ever taken.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It says for cats over 1.5 pounds. My neighbor down the street has cousins to this feral Kitty, and she told me she only uses half an application as her cats (ferals, too) reacted to the treatment. She may have used Advantage... not sure. Just wondering if people normally just use the whole amount? Thanks.
There must be no differentiation in the size of the cat. I just looked it up, and it would seem Frontline may be 'losing out' to Frontline Plus and Frontline Gold. So, for Frontline Plus - which the only thing that was added to the 'old' Frontline, is the IGR (insect growth regulator) - it is still non-prescription and still does not have different strengths.

If you are really worried, use 1/2 of the application. You could also inquire about this directly to the company. FRONTLINE® | Contact Us