Best Flea Collar

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not a fan of flea collars. But if you had to put one on your cat, which one would it be?

My boys do go outside but are carefully brushed before they come in. The main purpose for their collar is to hang their identification tag from it.

Suggestions please.
20170731_195059.jpg

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would use a topical flea medication that is applied monthly rather than a flea collar which can be very toxic.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with above. Use advantage or revolution from your vet. Get a regular collar for their tags. If for whatever reason you MUST go with a flea collar I would get the seresto collar. They last 8 months and are really the only flea collar that I’ve ever heard that actually works.

snowbird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with Lindzee2018. My vet recommended the Seresto collar for my animals, and they work wonders. They don't smell, have attachable reflectors, AND save you a lot of money!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks I will google seresto. Mainly I need a collar for the id tag.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you just want it to put ID tags on, you can get collars that don't contain any medication - and you then deal with flea/worm meds using a spot on treatment.

Make sure any collar you use is safe - such as a breakaway collar (so that if it gets caught on a branch or in a fence or something, the collar will break before it strangles the cat).

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks I will google seresto. Mainly I need a collar for the id tag.
There's a rubber loop on the seresto collar, my kitties don't go outside but I believe it is breakaway, they've gotten it off before. I guess its not as ideal as an actual collar as far as a metal loop for ID tags but I'm sure it would suffice.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 2 pack on ebay looks good.

We have been lucky. Over the years our cats have never had fleas or a reaction to flea collars. But ive read the many incidences of cats becoming ill from flea medication.

I might just go with a breakaway non flea collar.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not the fleas im so worried about....they never have been an issue for our cats. We have cold winters which may kill off the fleas.

Im more worried about making the cats ill from flea collars.

I always buy the collars with the shorter life span, thinking there will be less of an exposure of toxins to the cats.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And then I leave the collars on far past their effective date. Im trying to balance flea protection with minimal toxin exposure. In addition the collar acts as a support for the id tag. I have read that micro chipping can cause medical problems. ....and my boys are pretty much always leashed with me nearby.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are just lookin for preventatives I would just use natural things. I usually don’t like natural flea treatments but I think it can ward them off before they become a problem however if you were to already have a flea problem anything natural isn’t going to work. But I would check those types of methods out of you just want to repel them since they are mild where you live.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Microchipping doesn't cause any medical problem. The microchip is about the size of a grain of rice. It may migrate a little ways from the injection site but causes no harm inside the body.

If all you need it something to hold an ID tag, just get a regular cat collar. For parasite preventative, use a topical monthly preventative.