Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Best fiber for sensitive tummy kitties?

Discussion in 'Holistic Feline Health and Nutrition' started by xocats, Apr 20, 2008.

1. xocats

xocats Thread Starter TCS Member Veteran

Mar 26, 2005
    What are the best kinds of fiber to add to wet food for sensitive tummy kitties?
    Thanks Dr Jean.

I tried to slip in another question. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. drjean

drjean TCS Member Veteran

Apr 9, 2008
    The simplest and most tasteless is (really!) unflavored Metamucil. You can get powdered psyllium in bulk at the health food store, which is the same thing, but Metamucil brand seems to have a little less obnoxious texture.

Marshmallow and slippery elm are good for tender tummies and contain quite a bit of fiber, if the other is too much for them. As I mentioned before, slippery elm is becoming endangered so I'm switching over to marshmallow. As my "experiments" progress I'll let you know! [​IMG]

3. xocats

Mar 26, 2005
    I have never heard of marshmallow.
    Is that available at a natural food store?

4. drjean

drjean TCS Member Veteran

Apr 9, 2008
    Should be. The botanical name is "Althea officinalis" (which an herbalist friend of mine named her daughter (the Althea part, not officinalis!) so it's easy for me to remember!). It's very easy to find online as well. Here's an impressive article from a medical school:
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/m...low-000265.htm

5. xocats

Mar 26, 2005
    You are awesome Dr. Jean. [​IMG]
    Thank you [​IMG]