Best Dry N Wet Food For Weight Control

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Prescription foods are for a variety of health issues. There's a specific food for a specific issue. W/D is for digestive / weight issues: Hill's® Prescription Diet® w/d® Feline - dry C/D is for urinary issues. DM is for diabetics. Royal Canin is similar, a variety of prescription foods for various issues.
7/8 cup of dry food is way too much. Try giving Snowball 1/4 cup of dry and a small wet like Fancy Feast in the evening. My Lily is apt to gain weight, and I now have her on Iams Weight Control for dry and FF for dinner. She's lost a half pound in the past year. Before that, I gave her one portion of Sheba in the evening as well as the dry in the morning and she lost 2 pounds over a year.
Its 278 calories a cup

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hills W/D is junk so take it back to the vet for a refund. I wouldn't bother with the W/D canned food.

Do you have to feed dry food? It's a lot easier to shed those extra pounds with a canned food only diet.

For an ideal 12 lbs, your cat should eat roughly 240 to 300 calories daily. Dry foods are too high in calories. A cup may contain as much as 400 calories. "Weight control" dry foods can contain an entire day's worth of calories in a single cup. Canned foods, by comparison, may contain under 100 calories for a 3 oz can to around 150 calories for a 5.5 oz can.

Any commercial canned food will work, supplement with a small amount of dry food if needed. You have to keep track of the calories you feed to your cat daily. Calorie information is on pet food labels. Here's one for canned foods: http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf
Yea the dry food hes on now W/D is 278 calories a cup

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the compliment, that's very kind of you.

Ask if your vet can provide you with Hills Prescription canned food. If not, ask your vet if fancy feast pate foods would be acceptable. If your kitty doesn't want to eat either of these, you could possibly try Wellness or Weruva.

Let us know how things go :vibes::crossfingers: :goodluck:
Hey im getting ready n couple days to start snowball on Wellness Healthy Indulgence.3oz (57 calories)but he will get a limited amount of his dry.To add up to amount of calories he shud get aday.Hes only getting 1 of the wellness pks aday.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yea hes not on the W/D.He got to where he just wouldn't eat it.So they put him back on HILLS I/D.But I know to watch the calorie intake .Im on top of things :yess:The vet said hes shud weigh around 12 lbs.And for me slowly to feed him as directed to feed a 12 lb cat n not what his actual weight is.:hellocomputer: