Best dry food?

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats four times a day: wet food at 8am and 8pm, dry food at 2am and 2pm. Ideally, all four meals would be wet food but I'm asleep at 2am and at work at 2pm, and unfortunately no one has invented an automatic feeder for wet food yet.

However, I've become a little paranoid about choosing a new cat food because each one has bad reviews to some extent. Also, I've tried Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein kibble which is supposedly the best kibble out there, but it made my cat throw up every other day. Then I tried Blue Buffalo and my cat and I were pretty happy until I stumbled across a bunch of amazon reviews about the brand causing heart failure and urinary complications. Now I'm afraid to try anything.

What dry food do you feed your cats? I need all the input I can get..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forgot to state the main point - I'm looking to ditch the Blue Buffalo and switch to a new kibble. What kibble does everyone here feed their cats?

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I used to do wet/dry/dehydrated feedings, I would rotate between Dr Elsey and Tiki Cat chicken and egg ( the stuff in the yellow bag for the dry. He would throw up frequently as well. He inhaled the dry food. Since weaning off dry completely, no more vomiting.

They do have automatic feeders for wet food that use ice packs. I don't know how well they work though. I work from home so I am at Oliver's beck-and-call 24/7.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
unfortunately no one has invented an automatic feeder for wet food yet.

Most any programmable timed feeder works with canned food :) I have this one: 5 Meal Pet Feeder There other similar brands. Canned food is a cooked product so it's fine to leave in a feeder all day. The Catmate brand of feeders has an ice pack feature. The Petsafe one I have does not per se but there is space in the bottom of the feeder that you can fit a gel-type lunch box ice pack into. You can also freeze canned food into portion sizes and put the frozen chunk into the feeder compartments. With multiple cats you may need to use multiple feeders and / or use a micriochipped feeder.

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't know I could use feeders with canned food! This is great, thank you!

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We tried Tiki Cat Born Carnivore, which was good, but switched to Wysong Epigen 90 when I heard it has the most protein. My cats had pretty watery poop with that, so switching to Dr. Elsey’s Clean Protein.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah's been happiest with Crave indoor dry. Still mad that they discontinued the wet, but she's happy with Sheba wet. Your feeding seems to be similar to mine.

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We tried Tiki Cat Born Carnivore, which was good, but switched to Wysong Epigen 90 when I heard it has the most protein. My cats had pretty watery poop with that, so switching to Dr. Elsey’s Clean Protein.
High protein kibble has caused watery stool in my cat too (specifically, Dr. Elseys with something like 60% protein). I'll try getting a small bag of Tiki