Best Dry Food?

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had a problem with Blue Buffalo? My friend took her 10-yr old cat in for teeth cleaning, the pre-operative blood work showed pre-diabetes....whereas about 4 months ago, she was fine. My friend had switched her cat's dry food to Blue Buffalo. The Vet blamed the pre-diabetic blood work on the dry food. The cat does not eat wet food. The Vet also said that she has seen an increase in pre-diabetic diagnosis with cats eating Blue Buffalo. Has anyone heard of this?
Yes, it's too high in carbs. For dry food,You can try wysong epigen 90, it only has 5.5% carbs and is veryhigh protein with enzymes and probiotics.

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat go turinary struvite crystals from blue buffalo.
Forgot to mention that you must mix slow at 10% new food mixed with old food and graduate from there because too fast can cause diarrhea from introduction to probiotics in the food with epigen 90.

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Orijen is also a good brand, as well as Wysong. Most of the grain free dry food are pricey, though, so if you do a comparison you may find that if you can afford them, you might be able to afford canned food. Some folks think ANY canned food is better than dry
[QUOT wysong epigen 90 is excellent

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
EVO chicken and turkey has all the nutrients a cat needs with no fillers. Other good choices are Innova, Blue Buffalo Wilderness and Wellness core. You want the highest protein and lowest carb you can find.
These are a little pricey, let us know if you need less expensive choices.

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blue buffalo dry is too high in carbs. Blue buffalo canned has carageenen, which both are bad.

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had a problem with Blue Buffalo? My friend took her 10-yr old cat in for teeth cleaning, the pre-operative blood work showed pre-diabetes....whereas about 4 months ago, she was fine. My friend had switched her cat's dry food to Blue Buffalo. The Vet blamed the

pre-diabetic blood work on the dry food. The cat does not eat wet food. The Vet also said that she has seen an increase in pre-diabetic diagnosis with cats eating Blue Buffalo. Has anyone heard of this?
My cat had urinsry strvive crystals from Blue buffalo

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of blues cat foods are chock full of carbs. Excess carbs is what causes diabetes in cats and carbs are everywhere in dry food in general. Age, lack of exercise, lack of controlled feedings add to it. Have your friend put the cat on a strict high protein low carb canned diet (if he won’t eat canned consider dr elseys dry. One of the lowest carb dry foods on the market), limit portions, and exercise her. I’m sure she’ll have better blood results next time.
I doubt it’s blue specifically though. The high carb science diet the vet will recommend is just as bad. If not worse.
cheesy cats is right

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had a problem with Blue Buffalo? My friend took her 10-yr old cat in for teeth cleaning, the pre-operative blood work showed pre-diabetes....whereas about 4 months ago, she was fine. My friend had switched her cat's dry food to Blue Buffalo. The Vet blamed the pre-diabetic blood work on the dry food. The cat does not eat wet food. The Vet also said that she has seen an increase in pre-diabetic diagnosis with cats eating Blue Buffalo. Has anyone heard of this?
Yes, too many carbs. For dry try wysong epigen90. 5.5% carb , high protein with enzymes an probiotics. Introduce very slowly by mixing only 10% new food to old food.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies to the Blue Buffalo difficulties. The question was not about my cat, but a friend's cat. I showed her the answers.....she said it was informative...but she has said before that she will not feed her cat wet food. So, I tried to let her inform herself. Her Vet already said that she will put the cat on a Science diet food, to which my friend agrees. Personally, my own cats are fed wet. One of my cat's tummy will not tolerate wet food, so he's on dry only....but he's doing fine on Kirkland. It was recommended as a good, affordable dry food. He's over 10 and doing really well.....as are the other two. I appreciate your sharing your knowledge.

toaster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes my kitten loves Dr. Elsey’s dry food. It’s all stages so I won’t switch when she’s an adult.