Best Dog Breeds For A Cat Household?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As others have said, don't get fixated on the breed. The individual dog is much more important. If you're going to a shelter or rescue, make it clear that you need a dog who is good with cats. Certainly over here (UK) shelters will cat-test dogs so they can be as sure as possible that each dog finds the best 'fit' in terms of family, lifestyle and environment.

Many people say greyhounds are just awful with cats, but my old boy was just wonderful with my kitties...in fact, when I brought Asha home in was my lab that caused the problems! (Asha now rules her with an iron claw :lol:).
20161031_054320_001.jpg
Asha with my sweet boy, :rbheart:Pixie:rbheart:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I get a bigger place will def get a dog! We both agreed from a shelter and one who is used to cats ! I Don't think I will get a kitten or a puppy ! Having gracie since 7 weeks old has been a lot more stressful than I thought . Plus this if now her pad so I have to get a dog which is very laid back and fits in with her ! :)

ihave4cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a golden retriever and he let my cat do anything to her, but I think there are many dogs that get along great with cats.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agreed with my bf to let him have a puppy boston terrier when we move into a house later. I looked up the breed and they seemed like good dogs. He wanted to adopt an adult but it just makes me nervous.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
upload_2017-7-3_13-41-34.png

The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel was bred specifically to be a lap dog. Not bred to hunt. VERY low prey drive, if they even have any at all. They wouldn't harm a fly. I don't even think they know how to be aggressive. I've never in my life seen this dog mean. They are called "love sponges" and "Velcro dogs". I mean literally they were bred to do nothing more than to be a foot warmer, and lay around. They were only owned by royalty and they say on their laps to attract the flies and mosquitoes and fleas away which carried disease, so the dog would die before the king or queen would, and in theory would save their life by being a flea magnet for the king as a lap dog.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 187119

The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel was bred specifically to be a lap dog. Not bred to hunt. VERY low prey drive, if they even have any at all. They wouldn't harm a fly. I don't even think they know how to be aggressive. I've never in my life seen this dog mean. They are called "love sponges" and "Velcro dogs". I mean literally they were bred to do nothing more than to be a foot warmer, and lay around. They were only owned by royalty and they say on their laps to attract the flies and mosquitoes and fleas away which carried disease, so the dog would die before the king or queen would, and in theory would save their life by being a flea magnet for the king as a lap dog.
Gotta be careful about those. Their entire breed is from 6 original dogs. Majority of them have heart issues. They're also plagued with other very specific health issues. Very unfortunate. I read about these too because i wanted to resesearch on cat friendly dogs.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they are prone to getting Mitral valve disease, but if you go to a good breeder you should have a healthy dog and not have to worry about that until later in their life.
And all purebreeds are prone to specific illnesses except maybe the beagle.
It is important to go to a breeder that has the parents thoroughly health tested and is dedicated to the improvement of the breed

every dog will come with its own health issues, but its worth it in my mind for this dog.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel was bred specifically to be a lap dog. Not bred to hunt. VERY low prey drive, if they even have any at all. They wouldn't harm a fly. I don't even think they know how to be aggressive. I've never in my life seen this dog mean. They are called "love sponges" and "Velcro dogs".
I completely agree, the Cavalier King Charles is a marshmallow, so good natured and unbelievably sweet. Yes, they do have some health issues but as MeganLLB MeganLLB pointed out you need to do your research with a breeder. Unfortunately there are no guarantees in life, i.e. we adopted a mixed breed dog who got along famously with our cat but when he was 3 yrs. old was diagnosed with an uncommon autoimmune illness. In spite of this we were on top of it and he lived another 13 yrs. So even with health issues it is possible to make it work. Best of luck!