Best Diet for Idiopathic Cystitis

mishyg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty has Idiopathic cystitis. I was previously feeding her an all dry Hills prescription diet before this started, but have since switched her to all canned diet and she seems to be doing better since switching, at least so far. She is peeing big pees now, much larger than she ever has. The vet prescribed Hills CD canned - expensive and kitty is lukewarm about it (doesn't gobble, eats it very slowly) so I bought some Pro Plan Focus Urinary canned which she seems to like a lot better. I have been giving her both because I am afraid to take her off the prescription canned. Is mixing the two foods bad? How does the Pro Plan compare to prescription and is it risky to take her off prescription and just feed all Pro Plan focus canned? Other options/dietary advice for this condition? TIA!!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with LTS3 LTS3 regarding the non necessity of prescription food. One of mine was on Royal Canin urinary for months until he refused to eat it any longer. He has been on all wet cat food for over a year and is fine. Mix a little water in the wet food to boost his liquid intake.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mishyg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. In so far as mixing the two foods, there isn't any issue in doing so. The other thing to consider, regardless of what canned food you use, is making sure your cat gets plenty of water. While the canned food helps with moisture content, trying to get her to drink more is a good idea, if you can - although her peeing larger volumes just based on the food change is a very good thing already! You could add multiple water dishes in various places - I have 3 for Feeby, and she uses them all at one point in time or another during the day. Perhaps, even try a water fountain to see if that would encourage her to drink more. The moisture helps to keep her bladder flushed so that there is less of a chance of irritation/inflammation in the lining of the bladder from the urine, and it minimizes the opportunity for the development of crystals.

Also, with FIC - stress seems to be a factor, so keeping consistent routines (cat do like routines) to help minimize changes in her schedule, making sure she has plenty 'entertainment' (cat trees, perches, window views - maybe even with a bird feeder outside a window for her to watch - and, play time) as that seems to relieve stress a bit.

As you watch her, other things you might try would be calming products, such as Feliway diffusers. There is even music for cats to help soothe them, if you should find she needs some extra 'help' in this area.

mishyg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. In so far as mixing the two foods, there isn't any issue in doing so. The other thing to consider, regardless of what canned food you use, is making sure your cat gets plenty of water. While the canned food helps with moisture content, trying to get her to drink more is a good idea, if you can - although her peeing larger volumes just based on the food change is a very good thing already! You could add multiple water dishes in various places - I have 3 for Feeby, and she uses them all at one point in time or another during the day. Perhaps, even try a water fountain to see if that would encourage her to drink more. The moisture helps to keep her bladder flushed so that there is less of a chance of irritation/inflammation in the lining of the bladder from the urine, and it minimizes the opportunity for the development of crystals.

Also, with FIC - stress seems to be a factor, so keeping consistent routines (cat do like routines) to help minimize changes in her schedule, making sure she has plenty 'entertainment' (cat trees, perches, window views - maybe even with a bird feeder outside a window for her to watch - and, play time) as that seems to relieve stress a bit.

As you watch her, other things you might try would be calming products, such as Feliway diffusers. There is even music for cats to help soothe them, if you should find she needs some extra 'help' in this area.

mishyg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thanks! I have multiple water bowls and a fountain. I also add a little water to the canned food. She actually seems to be drinking less water since she started the canned food diet but like I said, her pees are so much bigger in volume that I have to assume she is getting a ton more water from the canned diet. I am already trying some of the de-stressors such as more playtime, feliway, cat tree (she is uninterested in the cat tree but she does love her window perch). I am going to look into the music for cats! Curious, can't hurt :)

mishyg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with LTS3 LTS3 regarding the non necessity of prescription food. One of mine was on Royal Canin urinary for months until he refused to eat it any longer. He has been on all wet cat food for over a year and is fine. Mix a little water in the wet food to boost his liquid intake.
Thanks so much! The prescription food is pricey and she doesn't seem thrilled with it anyway. I think I may just have her finish it off and see how she does on a straight diet of the canned she actually prefers with a little water mixed in. I am a little worried that doing that might cause another episode but the consensus seems to be that the key is the moisture content of canned and not necessarily the prescription. I guess no way to know unless I try.

LannyLC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! The prescription food is pricey and she doesn't seem thrilled with it anyway. I think I may just have her finish it off and see how she does on a straight diet of the canned she actually prefers with a little water mixed in. I am a little worried that doing that might cause another episode but the consensus seems to be that the key is the moisture content of canned and not necessarily the prescription. I guess no way to know unless I try.
Hi there; I'm curious to know what you ended up feeding your girl and how she's doing? I have a male tabby with urinary infections and want to switch him to an all wet food diet. How much do you give throughout the day? Thanks.