Best Diet For Ibd Cat...raw?

trisha422

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My new rescue has been diagnosed with Inflammatory bowel disease..
She is doing well on nature's variety rabbit wet food, but her breath and stool still smells rancid after 3 weeks!

Is a (commercial) raw diet ideal for IBD cats or opposite?
Or another kind of diet that I'm not aware of?

The perscription food that her vet wants her to eat has some of the worst ingredients ever!!!!

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most cats on a raw diet have odorless or nearly odorless poop. Some don't for some reason, like one of my cats :rolleyes: Bad breath is more of an idicator of poor dental health than a diet issue. Try brushing your cat's teeth to move odor causing bacteria and foor particles.

Some IBD cats do well on a raw diet. Here's a thread: IBD and raw food -my cat's experience

A home cooked diet may also be an option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trisha422

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most cats on a raw diet have odorless or nearly odorless poop. Some don't for some reason, like one of my cats :rolleyes: Bad breath is more of an idicator of poor dental health than a diet issue. Try brushing your cat's teeth to move odor causing bacteria and foor particles.

Some IBD cats do well on a raw diet. Here's a thread: IBD and raw food -my cat's experience

A home cooked diet may also be an option.
Thanks so much! After reading that thread, I am totally convinced to give raw a try!!

The vet looked at her teeth... Her gums where lightly inflamed, but not enough to cause such a horrendous odor.
Her breath smells straight up like sweage diarrhea. When she licks my hand, that smell is stuck on my skin until I wash it.
I just saw this as a sign that the wet canned food isn't enough to help her intestines .
Crossing my fingers that raw will do the trick!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
trisha422 trisha422 keeping my fingers crossed that the raw, or a combination of raw and other food as some cats lose weight on raw, helps her system!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trisha422

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
trisha422 trisha422 keeping my fingers crossed that the raw, or a combination of raw and other food as some cats lose weight on raw, helps her system!
Thank you so much. The more I read up on it the more scared I get for her near or far future. All I can do is give her the best possible life I can full of love and good food. So glad she's not in the shelter anymore where they can't manage her condition.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is very much a trial and error thing as to what works for IBD. One thing to remember is to give each diet change several weeks to see if it works. Frequent diet changes in and of itself can cause issues. You will also have more trouble knowing what does and does not work.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probiotics may help with the stinky poop. Not sure if it would help with stinky breath but it won't hurt to give it a try. You can ask the vet about using a probiotic. Most vets are only familiar with FortiFllora but there are other non-prescription pet procbiotics you can use as well as Human probiotics.

Nexabiotic probiotic for IBD kitty?
What's Your Go To Probiotic For Your Kitty?
Probiotics Are No Longer Working On Ibd Kitty
Alternative To Fortiflora?

Here's a good site about feeding raw to IBD cats: Raw Feeding for IBD Cats There's a section there about using probiotics, too.