Best Diet Foods for cats?

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Does anyone by any chance have a link to a good list? Our vet wants Sam to lose 3 pounds, and I feel like i'm going cross eyed looking at google because it's telling me blue buffalo is the best but i'm terrified of that brand

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

This is for your information;
Fit or Fat: Your Pet's Body Condition Score (BCS)
Scroll either right or left on the first photo, then click on the chart to bring it into focus.

In my opinion the best food will be a canned food and not so much dependent on the brand. This is a good post;

cat diets?????

How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat? – TheCatSite Articles

Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – TheCatSite Articles

17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats – TheCatSite Articles

CatFoodDB's Best Wet Cat Foods

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When one of my boys was one year old we were told he needed to lose FOUR pounds :eek2:. Well, we first tried the weight control kibble and that only led to him eating more because he wasn't satisfied. So...we bit the bullet and transitioned all of our cats to regularly scheduled meals of wet food only and voila, our little pudgy boy ended up getting down to a good weight over the course of about a year. You must go slowly. The trick is to feed them less calories than they burn, just like us humans. So you must figure out how many calories he needs to maintain his weight, then feed him less. Your Vet might be able to help you with that. And remember, as he loses weight, he may become more active and thus require more calories. BUT, to prevent him from being hungry, if possible, feed him several small meals over the course of the day, and feed him meals high in protein and very low in carbs (no rice, wheat, potatoes, peas, etc.) Meat is what cats need, and it should help it feel more satisfied

Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals – TheCatSite Articles

Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food – TheCatSite Articles

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best way to help a cat lose weight is to feed the appropriate amount of calories daily. No special diet food is needed at all. It's preferred to feed only canned food for weight loss as canned foods are much lower in calories than dry food and more filling.

Start by feeding approximately 20 to 25 calories per pound of current body weight daily. Then slowly reduce the calories over a few weeks or so until your cat loses those 3 pounds and maintains the weight. Calorie reduction must be done slowly to avoid fatty liver disease. Pet food labels list kcal on the package. The Catinfo.org chart also lists calorie per can. A 10 pound cat might need roughly 200 to 250 calories daily. This is typically about one and a half 5.5 oz cans daily or three or four 3 oz cans daily but it does vary among brands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks ya'll for the links & info! Going to check it out now.

Sam's at 17 pounds. Vet wants him down to 14. I'll be bringing him back to the vet in a month to check his weight, so wish me luck!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have a bathroom scale? You can weigh yourself, then weigh yourself while holding him and subtract the two for his weight. This method is close enough that you can tell how he's doing 😉

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have a bathroom scale? You can weigh yourself, then weigh yourself while holding him and subtract the two for his weight. This method is close enough that you can tell how he's doing 😉
I feel so silly for NOT even thinking about that! We could do that, yeah. That's a great idea. Of course... I dread seeing my own weight but hey! lol

Are you familiar with BFF Tuna or whatever it's called? It's one of the foods on that list, seemed high in protein

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel so silly for NOT even thinking about that! We could do that, yeah. That's a great idea. Of course... I dread seeing my own weight but hey! lol

Are you familiar with BFF Tuna or whatever it's called? It's one of the foods on that list, seemed high in protein
I recommend the BFF chicken / turkey over tuna. Tuna is tasty and addictive but not really recommended as the main diet unless your cat truly will not eat anything else.

BFF Play Pate Lovers Chicken Checkmate Wet Cat Food, 5.5-oz can, pack of 8 - Chewy.com