Best cheapest cat foods?

LeiaRey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys what’s the best cheapest cat foods? I have two kitties. I have been feeding them friskies I know it’s not the greatest but it’s the cheapest big bag of cat food I can get. I need something better quality about the same price range for a big bag for my fatties. Lol I call them fatties because they like to eat, but my Princess Leia is overweight. Thanks in advanced!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Are you able to work in some canned food? It will help quite a bit with the weight, as will extra exercise.

Tiny Tiger (a Chewy . com brand) and maybe Red Barn?

This might help;

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very good info & TY!!! I'm trying to cull thru the data but it is a bit confusing? Anyone else a bit lost. I know I'm dumb today, but will review this more as I can. Again tho, TY so much for these links as we need comprehensive nutrition info very much.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet food is going to be so much better for general health, weight loss, avoiding health complications that have expensive vet bills, etc. It really is best for cats to be on an all wet diet if you can manage it at all.

Fancy Feast classic pate is my go-to budget cat food, but actually I was doing the math recently and I realized that Wellness Complete Health in the 12.5 oz cans works out to be a very close to the same price per calorie because the cans are so big (about $0.0071 per calorie for Fancy Feast versus $0.0079 per calorie for Wellness according to Chewy's prices), and I think it's a huge upgrade in quality over Fancy Feast if you can manage it. But Fancy Feast is still pretty decent if you need to go with that. Still a huge improvement over any dry food, especially Friskies!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yah switching off the dry and going wet only will help. Friskies is horrible junk food lol. Fancy feast pate is great. Check out catfooddb.com for a massive list of cat foods and their quality so you can find the best in your price range. DIY raw thats balanced can also be cheap but there's a learning curb for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiaRey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well if I bought wet cat food, Princess Leia hates it. She won’t eat it. 😱

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiaRey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And I always thought wet cat food was worse than dry food. 🤔 interesting info. 😃 that’s why I’m here is to learn!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if I bought wet cat food, Princess Leia hates it. She won’t eat it. 😱
Some cats have to go through an adjustment period to switch between the two. Try a couple different textures of wet food (pates are the healthiest, but even shredded/gravies/chunks are better than dry food). Some cats have strong preferences there. Also try sprinkling wet food with a bit of parmesan cheese or some treats she likes to get her used to it. You may need to slowly transition by mixing dry food in with a bit of wet food over a period of time. Usually, cats hate change more than the actual taste, so it's getting them through that transition that's the hard part.
And I always thought wet cat food was worse than dry food. 🤔 interesting info. 😃 that’s why I’m here is to learn!
Yeah! Cats are obligate carnivores who don't drink a lot of water naturally, and wet food is better for both those reasons. Dry food has lots of carbohydrates to make it cheap and easy to bake into kibble, whereas wet food tends to have more animal protein, which is the best source of calories for a cat. Studies have also been done to show that cats who eat wet food are more hydrated than cats who eat dry food, even though wet food fed cats visit their water bowl less! And being well hydrated helps avoid urinary tract infections and the like that are so common.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you looked at Merrick's Purrfect Bistro Grammy's Pot Pie, or Fussy Cat, or Authority? Or Blue Wilderness Wild Delights?

By the way, if you put her on a diet go really really slowly, and weigh her every couple of weeks so you can tell exactly what's happening. Exercise is extremely important - are you able to play with her more, and possibly take her for walks?

How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat? – TheCatSite Articles

Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – TheCatSite Articles

17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats – TheCatSite Articles

How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Try a couple different textures of wet food (pates are the healthiest, but even shredded/gravies/chunks are better than dry food)
On this thought, take a look at the chart here;
Canned Cat food Spreadsheets

Additionally these may have useful tips to help with making the change;
Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food – TheCatSite Articles

Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals – TheCatSite Articles