Best Cat Hair removal?

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there.

So I am a new cat owner so I am still pretty oblivious to lots of cat stuff. I got a short haired cat back in late October. He was a stray from the street (as far as I know) so I picked him up, and hes been pretty sweet.

I was surpised to see for the first few months...I dealt with like zero shedding at all. I thought he was just somehow not shedding, but I guess ever since the beginning of February, I have noticed a LOT more hair around where he lies. So I am like, dangit, now I gotta brush him a lot.

First question...does it make sense that it took that long of a delay for him to shed? I'm guessing he wasn't shedding because he was outside so he needed his coat? Then when his body realized he wasn't going back outsite it started to shed?

Anyways, I have had a cheap-o meijer brand pet comb...and it just seems like an endless supply of hair. I want to get him as clean as I can the fastest I can. I have used the rubber knobby gloves in the past with my ex girlfriend's cats, and that worked pretty well because I could handle the cat as well.

It seems like the furbinator has lots of good reviews. Would you recommend this product? Once i get rid of the initial massive hairballs...how often do you think I need to brush him to keep the hair at bay. Everyday? Every week?

Thanks,

Pop

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
I'm guessing he wasn't shedding because he was outside so he needed his coat? Then when his body realized he wasn't going back outsite it started to shed?
I'd guess yes, plus it's headed towards spring enough that my Poppycat has started losing another cat's worth of hair LOL.

I've found that the furminator can actually remove too much hair at each stroke, and additionally it seems to cause static electricity to a greater degree --although that might have been just me since all tools will cause the static to build up (just keep a damp-ish cloth or paper towel close by and give him a wipe to keep the electricity down). You could try a greyhound comb, or a zoomgroom.

You'll need to experiment with the schedule that he needs, plus the different seasons will impact how much he sheds.

This may help for other things :)

First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – Cat Articles

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can brush enough out of your cat to make four more cats...and still not be done? A furminator won't help much....It won't stop taking fur. (kind of like too aggressive).
Yes brush your cat often.
Choose a good food that's designed to help cat's coat.
And for the bed/furniture? Just a wire or stiff bristle cat brush will clean up fur off of furniture and other things.
I use the same brush on the sofa as I do on the cat. Works great and the sofa really likes it. :lol: