Best cat friendly bug spray?

ZsadistRaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I’m looking for something that will help kill/control insects and spiders inside my house but won’t harm my two kittens. I’ve done some research, but I keep getting contradicting answers on what to use. My basement can get a little bug heavy, especially in the laundry room, and that is where the cats like to play. And they always seem to find the bugs. I tend to spray heavy outside the house, but the creatures still get in.

I’m worried about the cats eating the insects (which one of them has done), but I mostly would like to find something that I can spray to get rid of the unwanted pests while also not risking my wanted cats. Can anyone give me suggestions or tips?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
weather stripping and caulking to seal up all access insects gain entry from ants and roaches etc i use dawn dish soap mixed with water in a spray bottle to kill them along with food grade de powder sprayed into the cracks you do know spiders are benificial in that they prey on all the other pest type bugs.far as safe bug spray i am unaware of any i would trust

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZsadistRaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My house is pretty well sealed up and I try not to leave the outer door open too long, but my house is 60 years old and it’s hard to determine how everything in getting in. I’m aware that spiders can be beneficial, and I don’t usually mind when I find them since there have only been a few so far, it’s the insects that really bother me. Crickets, ants, centipedes, and, earlier, this big black cockroach like thing. My skin crawls for a long while after just seeing one, let alone having to kill them. I want them out for my sanity and my cats’ safety.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the de powder and dawn dish soap trick will get rid of the ants i had them coming out of my wall furnace the centipedes are their looking for food or moisture. zsadist is that name from the black dagger book series?

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Insects come where there are moist, wet objects - available water.
If you dry out all sources of water, most of the insects should vanish- I assume.
===
From my experience, cockroaches get used to poison very rapidly, no matter the chemical compound. Therefore chances are to obtain very limited results in time.
===
There is also a chance that spiders eat the other insects - depending on the species populating your "ecosystem".
So if you get rude of spiders, you may boost other species.
It's complicated.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
For ants, I use Terro Ant Bait. In fact, I’m using it in the bathroom right now to combat an ant invasion. It’s pet safe. It doesn’t kill the ants instantly. They take it back to their nest and tell their chums about it. The ants then flock to the bait and have a party. The borax gradually kills them. Terro makes products for other crawly and flying critters as well, but I’ve never used them. You might check out the Terro website.
F4E3EB7B-590A-42CB-85C3-BCC51D6ECB7F.jpeg
I’ve also used Maggie’s Farm Simply Effective Ant and Roach Killer but not inside. I’ve annihilated ants in the garage and then sprayed it around the outside garage door and the inner door into the house to keep new ones away. Worked really well. It also says it's pet safe. It smells very strongly of cinnamon. They also have other products. Here’s a link to their household products site: Household Products

With the exception of the ants, though, I usually capture the other crawlies and let them go outside. :) Mocha did beat me to a spider this morning. I had to give it a swift death.

jersharocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For roaches, insect growth regulator products are a good thing to try. They disrupt the life cycle so they can't breed. It's like bug birth control lol.

One is called Hydroprene which is classified as low toxicity by the EPA You can get it in little pods that you can hide behind and under things that your cats cannot get to.

I've personally used this product and it works VERY well: Gentrol Point Source

I lived in a duplex where my neighbor had roaches. We saw one get into our apartment. We bought these, used some ourselves and gave some to the neighbor. We saw no more roaches after that and the neighbor informed us that they were gone on her side too.

For other creepy crawlies, I would try sticky traps to start. You can get them prebaited with food grade bait (so non-toxic to your pets) so the bugs will be attracted to them. Get the kind that are meant to go under furniture because they have a top that will keep your cats from accidentally stepping on them.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I’m looking for something that will help kill/control insects and spiders inside my house but won’t harm my two kittens. I’ve done some research, but I keep getting contradicting answers on what to use. My basement can get a little bug heavy, especially in the laundry room, and that is where the cats like to play. And they always seem to find the bugs. I tend to spray heavy outside the house, but the creatures still get in.

I’m worried about the cats eating the insects (which one of them has done), but I mostly would like to find something that I can spray to get rid of the unwanted pests while also not risking my wanted cats. Can anyone give me suggestions or tips?
Cats play with bugs and usually just kill them. No harm if they eat a bug. Spiders are your pest control so I leave them alone. I just watched one at my parents house wrap an ant in a cocoon. They are after bugs,not food. Yesterday I had a big roach but no worries! Cats will destroy it(and did)