Best cat food?

fraidycatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am the mother of three cats. I love them dearly. Currently I was feeding my babies Taste of the Wild dry cat food, but I ran out this weekend and I haven’t been able to find more in store. As of right now they’re only eating Purina Fancy Feast wet food mixed with homemade bone broth.

I have thought about raw food, but all the different recipes seem confusing and commercial made raw food can get expensive and it’s difficult to tell which brand is better than another.

I was wondering what is the best dry and wet food or is raw food the way to go?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
all you can do is compare ingredients between all the brands to help make your choice grain free high in real protiens(not meat by products )far as raw there are some members here i believe know lots about that i am sure you will get better replies than mine by tommorrow.AND WELCOME TO THE SITE :biggrin:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a raw fan since I accidentally leave food out at night,too much. I do sometimes cook ground meat and add ez complete. For dry,Dr elseys is popular and fancy. feast classics for wet. My cats love turkey&gible's. More expensive wet,tiki after dark,Dr elseys,hound&gatos. Only online

Raul-7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dry-
Wysong Epigen 90 [above 60% protein, low carbs]
Dr. Elsey's Cleanprotein [above 60% protein, low carbs]
Ziwi Peak Air-dried Formulas [very low carbs]

Wet-
Weruva Truluxe [anything offered by Weruva is usually top quality]
Tiki Cat After Dark [anything offered by Tiki Cat is usually top quality]
Ziwi Peak

Raw will be the best long-term if they transition and is cheaper as well.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Ime, raw is way cheaper than even half-decent wet food (I’d pay twice as much to feed my cats Animonda Carny, the cheapest locally available wet food I’d even vaguely contemplate feeding), but that may depend on where you live, and whether you buy premade, use a completer, or make it yourself.

If you’re iffy on raw, I’d suggest feeding an all-wet diet with a rotation of budget and more expensive brands (e.g. FF Classic, Authority, Ziwi Peak, Rawz, Instinct), avoiding fish flavours. Kibble is in no way species appropriate, and doesn’t hold any benefit over wet food other than convenience.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best food is the one your cats eat, do well on, and that fits your budget :)
:yeah:

I have thought about raw food, but all the different recipes seem confusing and commercial made raw food can get expensive and it’s difficult to tell which brand is better than another.
Raw is ideal but not everyone can / wants to feed that for whatever reason. Don't forget that cats are picky and many will not touch raw or even home cooked food.

There's a forum here on TCS with more info on raw and home cooked diets: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

One easy way to make raw or home cooked is to use plain meat of your choice and add in a pre-mix and some water. Portion out the batch into meal sized portions and freeze if not feeding right away. The pre-mix contains all the essential vitamins and minerals a cat needs. EZComplete is one popular brand but there are others.

The Catinfo.org recipe is probably the most popular and trusted one. There are many other raw (and home cooked) recipes online and many are seemingly just put together randomly with a bunch of unnecessary ingredients and there's a claim or two that the recipe is super awesome and cats are soooo healthy eating the food :rolleyes:

Most commercial brands of raw, both freeze dried and raw, are pretty much similar. Some are more heavy on the fruits and veggies and other fillers than others.

For most people, commercial dry and canned food is what works for them and the cats. Feeding only canned is ideal but some people have to include some dry for one reason or another.

How To Choose The Best Dry Cat Food? – TheCatSite Articles
Top 5 Brands Of Wet Cat Food Our Members Love The Most – TheCatSite Articles
What Makes The Best Canned Cat Food? – TheCatSite Articles
Grain-free Cat Food – What Does It Mean? – TheCatSite Articles
How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat – TheCatSite Articles
What Do I Need To Know About Feeding My Cat? – TheCatSite Articles
Choosing The Right Food For Your Cat – Part 2 – TheCatSite Articles

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best food is the one your cats eat, do well on, and that fits your budget :)
:yeah: Exactly!! My biggest stress came from everyone's opinion on what the best food was and how bad others are. I found a brand (Weruva) that my cats eat without hesitation and have been feeding that exclusively for quite a while. No more finicky cats and no more stress about coming up with yet another brand of food to try to get them to eat.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:yeah: Exactly!! My biggest stress came from everyone's opinion on what the best food was and how bad others are. I found a brand (Weruva) that my cats eat without hesitation and have been feeding that exclusively for quite a while. No more finicky cats and no more stress about coming up with yet another brand of food to try to get them to eat.
I rotate between a few brands my kitty likes and I agree, it's much less stressful feeding the cat in front of me vs trying to hold myself to a specific ideal :)