Best Cat Food For An Adult Cat With A Sensitive Stomach

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well if you can give us more information on what the problem is? throwing up, litter box issues? do you feed wet or dry?

If dry my cats all like Dr. Elseys chicken, we have not had any issues with it. for wet maybe weruva, tiki cat, american journey?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DrizzleOfSalt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat tends to throw up whenever given wet food

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe eats too fast, or to much at once? Or there may be something in the one you are feeding that does not agree with him? try a smaller amount, and a different food, maybe even a different protein? but at least a different brand.

If he has not had a vet check recently i would recommend that as well. sometimes something is wrong and the throwing up when eating is a symptom. Wet food is good for a cat, and they should not throw up unless there is some kind of problem. Be it the food, or a physical problem with the cat.

best luck to the kitty, keep us updated.

Ƀåstet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Raw food is easier to digest than cooked because it contains natural enzymes. If you’re not squeamish about feeding it, it can be a great diet for sensitive cats. Just make sure you feed a complete and balanced meal.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Duckpond that it would be best if you could take your kitty in to the vet to get checked out. Throwing up consistently after eating isn’t normal. The cause could be several different things, such as a food allergy or intestinal parasites (bring a stool sample so the vet can test for worms).

Here’s an article that gives more information: Your Cat Throwing Up?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll add one other thought on this: cats' stomach sensitivities can be very individual and very odd so reading labels and comparing ingredients can help in figuring out what to avoid in another food. It was dumb luck, for example, that helped me figure out that potato was what was making our cat vomit. Potato doesn't seem to bother a lot of cats but several other Cat Site members have said their cats can't eat it, either. There are plenty of other common canned food ingredients -- like carrageenan and peas, not to mention individual proteins/meats and grains -- that can make cats sick so it can take a fair bit of observation, with trial and error, to figure out what's going wrong.

All that said, as duckpond duckpond mentioned, a vet visit may well be in order, particularly if your cat isn't young. I hope you're able to resolve everything!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another vote for a vet visit just to rule out any underlaying medical issues.

If nothing comes back, then try different novel proteins and limit fillers. Things like peas, potatoes, grains, millet and such that cats don't really need but many companies add are common problem items. Outside that, some cats have problems with specific proteins. Which is why trying something your cat hasn't had, like rabbit, kangaroo, or bison, can be a good idea.

I know with our boy who vomited frequently we found that if we excluded poulrty and shellfish he does just fine.