Best carpet for resisting a couple of scratch-happy tigers

twylasage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't know if this is the best forum for this question but here goes -

Finally, finally getting new bedroom furniture for hubby and I. Bedroom currently has bare hardwood floor. We've decided to put a large area rug down. The new bed is higher making the additional space underneath the bed even more attractive for Eliza and Timothy to sleep, lurk, play, etc. So the rug must be practical enough for easy clean-up in a hard-to-reach area but what kind of carpet fiber would be best for withstanding their tendency to scratch? Wool is out -- too expensive and tricky to clean. Natural fiber might as well have "Scratch Me" written all over it. I'm considering an indoor-outdoor polypropelene rug but don't know all that much about possible drawbacks, like unhealthy fumes. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Many thanks!

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I was going to suggest wool. I have a variety of wool rugs in my house and while the cats will scratch their claws on it ( they have a variety of scratching posts) they have shown no damage from it. 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think a lot of it has to do with the pile.  I have loop pile carpet and will definitely not have it again when I replace the carpet.. it snags and runs.  Single pile is the way to go.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a lot of it has to do with the pile.  I have loop pile carpet and will definitely not have it again when I replace the carpet.. it snags and runs.  Single pile is the way to go.
I agree. Something low pile and tightly woven. Even a good commercial carpet or a berber. I got a room sized piece of commercial carpet for our all-purpose room and had it bound and delivered ... to use as a room size rug. It's not that pretty or soft underfoot but it vacuums up like a dream and the cats will have a hard time destroying it.

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
^^^  THIS.  Our cats love to dig into the shag area rug we had before we got cats and have pretty much destroyed it.  The single pile area rug we got for our bedroom has lasted three years without a mark.

marymiddletn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently brought some wool area rugs that are nice soft little rugs. My cat never scratches it as she likes that soft feel of the rug and often is seated happily over it.