Best brush to prevent hairball

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Brushing is a mixed bag with my cats. Some stay, some walk away, some come back and some just bite whatever I’m using! Most have a very thick undercoat and are short to medium hair. Currently using a barber comb with narrow teeth on one end. It works but appears to pull a lot! But really need something more effective and better tolerated by the masses.

Any suggestions?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got a sleek ez brush for my rabbit and it is working really well for two of my cats. One of the cats wants nothing to do with it. Since one of the cats who does like it doesn't like any of the other brushes we have its a winner for me.

SleekEZ Original Deshedding Grooming Tool for Dogs, Cats & Horses - Undercoat Brush for Short & Long Hair - Painlessly Remove 95% of Loose Hair, Fur & Dirt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VC8DQX2/?tag=thecatsite

I know a lot of people swear by the furimator especially for long hair cats.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wanted to add that diet affects hairballs as well. Hairballs are not normal for a kitty. The best way to prevent hairballs is to feed mostly wet food. You can add in a touch of plain canned pumpkin for fiber. The fewer the grains, the better. Dry food depletes the body of the moisture it needs to naturally pass hairballs.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Furminator only takes the undercoat and helps a lot during shedding season. I need to do extra normal brushing or wipe with wet towel though, because some of the removed fur stays on the cat's body.

Jackattack0101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use a combo of a slicker brush and one of those rubbery glove brushes. My guy has super thick and long fur especially near his back legs so using both has had the best results for me. Plus he loves rubbing his face on wires of the brush which lets me get the rest of his body. In the spring when he's losing some of his winter coat I brush him every day for about 10-15 minutes. Keeps most of the hairballs at bay. Unfortunately he's super obsessive with cleaning his long fur himself so he gets small hairballs every once in a while but you'd be surprised at how much hair you can remove in 10 minutes