Best Breed/type Of Kitten To Adopt To Make A Two Cat Home?

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm looking to adopt another kitty, 7 months- 1 year to accompany my spooky, but I'm overwhelmed with what type of cat to get. Any suggestions, or does it matter? My cat is currently 1 year old and is a long haired domestic

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Why don't you check out your local shelter to see if there's a cat you fall in love with? The shelter staff will be able to point out cats with the purrsonality traits you're looking for.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
The reason to get a pedigreed cat is because something about the breed really appeals to you ( personality, less apt to cause allergy issues, etc. ), but if you don't have a strong preference, you probably should save yourself a thousand bucks (on up to about double that for some of the pricier breeds) and adopt a rescue.

I bought a pedigreed Siamese, because my mother had had a couple of Siamese mixes in the past, and I really liked the "Siameseness" of them, and am quite happy with my decision to do so, although I'm considering getting a companion for her (something that I've put a LOT of thought into) , and for that cat, I'm looking for a compatible rescue.

With all that said, are you sure that it is a good idea to adopt? You had some behavior issues with your current cat that make me suspect that spooky might be happier as an only cat (quite a few cats are happier that way.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The reason to get a pedigreed cat is because something about the breed really appeals to you ( personality, less apt to cause allergy issues, etc. ), but if you don't have a strong preference, you probably should save yourself a thousand bucks (on up to about double that for some of the pricier breeds) and adopt a rescue.

I bought a pedigreed Siamese, because my mother had had a couple of Siamese mixes in the past, and I really liked the "Siameseness" of them, and am quite happy with my decision to do so, although I'm considering getting a companion for her (something that I've put a LOT of thought into) , and for that cat, I'm looking for a compatible rescue.

With all that said, are you sure that it is a good idea to adopt? You had some behavior issues with your current cat that make me suspect that spooky might be happier as an only cat (quite a few cats are happier that way.)
I was starting to think that some of his behavior problems stem from him wanting extra attention. I made several threads about him howling at the door but I discovered that every time he does it, I would go to him and call his name and he'd come running to me and would stop. I'm starting to think he associates the door with me leaving as I'm away a lot because of work and sometimes I spend some time at my boyfriends house. I think he anticipates us leaving and the door opening and closing stresses him out.

I'm very adamant about getting another cat because he was rehomed and at his old home he wanted to have the other cat in the home as a companion and the other cat was violent and abusive towards him. I wanted to give him a more pleasurable companionship and maybe it would settle him down more and help him to become less lonely when im away.

I just was a little overwhelmed because there's so many breeds of cats with different personalities and traits and I don't want them to clash with spooky and I end up with a similar situation where they can't get a long. Despite his behavior problems he's a very mild mannered cat. He's good with people for the most part.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I was starting to think that some of his behavior problems stem from him wanting extra attention. I made several threads about him howling at the door but I discovered that every time he does it, I would go to him and call his name and he'd come running to me and would stop. I'm starting to think he associates the door with me leaving as I'm away a lot because of work and sometimes I spend some time at my boyfriends house. I think he anticipates us leaving and the door opening and closing stresses him out.

I'm very adamant about getting another cat because he was rehomed and at his old home he wanted to have the other cat in the home as a companion and the other cat was violent and abusive towards him. I wanted to give him a more pleasurable companionship and maybe it would settle him down more and help him to become less lonely when im away.

I just was a little overwhelmed because there's so many breeds of cats with different personalities and traits and I don't want them to clash with spooky and I end up with a similar situation where they can't get a long. Despite his behavior problems he's a very mild mannered cat. He's good with people for the most part.

Is that why you want a pedigreed cat? To make sure that their personality doesn't clash with Spooky's? After reading your description, I'm thinking American Shorthair, British Shorthair, Persian, Exotic, Selkirk Rex, Maine Coon, Siberian, Norwegians Forest Cat, Ragdoll would all be good matches. These cats are all calm and don't have too demanding personalities. Let me know if you need breeder recommendations or have questions about any of these breeds. @posiepurrs is a Persian breeder, so she could give you more info about Persians.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is that why you want a pedigreed cat? To make sure that their personality doesn't clash with Spooky's? After reading your description, I'm thinking American Shorthair, British Shorthair, Persian, Exotic, Selkirk Rex, Maine Coon, Siberian, Norwegians Forest Cat, Ragdoll would all be good matches. These cats are all calm and don't have too demanding personalities. Let me know if you need breeder recommendations or have questions about any of these breeds. @posiepurrs is a Persian breeder, so she could give you more info about Persians.
Yes definitely!
Not sure about Persians. The last cat he was homed with was a Persian.
Out of those im leaning towards rag doll or American shorthair. Any help would be greatly appreciated

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yes definitely!
Not sure about Persians. The last cat he was homed with was a Persian.
Out of those im leaning towards rag doll or American shorthair. Any help would be greatly appreciated
The best way to learn about cat breeds and meet reputable breeders in your area is to go to a show: Show Calendar

ASH and Ragdolls will both be relaxed companions, certainly not hyper. ASH will be slightly more energetic than Ragdolls, but not a major difference. Ragdolls, being longhaired, will require more grooming, and will get quite large (up to 30 lbs, while ASH might top out around 12 lbs). Health wise, ASH is the more robust of these breeds... Ragdolls are predisposed to Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, but you won't have to worry about this if your breeder tests for it.