Best brand

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am writing a will/care guide for my cat in case something were to happen to me in the future. I know the people around me may not be able to make homemade. Leave some brand's lines below that DO NOT use gums, thickeners, herbs, vegetables, fruits, etc. available online.

Not interested in anything with any of those ingredients listed above. Don't leave any that use those please lol.

Interested in raw, however it can't be the cheap kind that uses a lot of bone to cut down on cost or whatever

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While you're waiting for suggestions, use this chart to find foods that might meet most if not all of your criteria:

A lot of canned food has at least one of those things on your no-no list :dunno: Even Rawz has dandelion greens and vegetable broth. Neither are necessary in a cat's diet but are less of an issue than gums.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While you're waiting for suggestions, use this chart to find foods that might meet most if not all of your criteria:

[/URL]

A lot of canned food has at least one of those things on your no-no list :dunno: Even Rawz has dandelion greens and vegetable broth. Neither are necessary in a cat's diet but are less of an issue than gums.
Thank you, damn; I was hoping that brand wouldn't. I'll have a look, so far I've only found tiki cat after dark to be semi up to par.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
This is coming from someone who detests commercial pet feed, but if I had to decide, I would go with these brands and choose the varieties highest in protein and without fish (also obviously would only pick wet varieties):

Feline Natural (canned)
Rawz (canned)
Northwest Naturals (raw)
Tiki Cat After Dark (canned)

There is also Lotus raw that I have never tried but seems decent.

I would also want different foods rotated so that the cat receives variety.

There’s only so much you can do after you’re dead though, so I would just be very insistent about wet food being important, at the least.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
50$ for chickpeas or kelp... :headshake: I'd be better off telling them to make homemade!
Every canned food has an unfavourable ingredient. I agree about the chickpeas, that’s why I dislike ziwipeak, but kelp is a fine source of nutrients and iodine. Much better than some of the other crap pumped into canned foods these days. Some homemade folks also use kelp in their recipes.

You really gotta lower your standards when it comes to commercial food. If there was a good one out there so many of us wouldn’t be making our own, after all.

Tiki Cat After Dark’s questionable ingredient is K3 supplement.

Last edited:

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A Azazel Thanks, I'll check those out. Hopefully one saves the day! :hyper:
I really wasn't sure if kelp was bad, but the price seems ludicrous given the food is not 100% biologically perfect.

Whats k3 supplement btw? He rarely gets the stuff [tiki] anymore these days.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
A Azazel Thanks, I'll check those out. Hopefully one saves the day! :hyper:
I really wasn't sure if kelp was bad, but the price seems ludicrous given the food is not 100% biologically perfect.

Whats k3 supplement btw? He rarely gets the stuff [tiki] anymore these days.
Yeah, I don't particularly like Ziwipeak becuase I believe they use way too much chickpea.

Feline Natural is a brand that is very similar to Ziwipeak but without the chickpeas. I feed it to my homemade fed cats once in a while as a meal in their timed feeders when I'm not home.

There is quite a bit of controversy around K3 supplement (menadione). We don't know for sure whether it's harmful, but this article pretty much sums it up: https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/menadione-in-dog-food/

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I don't particularly like Ziwipeak becuase I believe they use way too much chickpea.

Feline Natural is a brand that is very similar to Ziwipeak but without the chickpeas. I feed it to my homemade fed cats once in a while as a meal in their timed feeders when I'm not home.

There is quite a bit of controversy around K3 supplement (menadione). We don't know for sure whether it's harmful, but this article pretty much sums it up: https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/menadione-in-dog-food/
Thanks, sorry I am late to responding. What do you think of this? Just found it and it looks great. No chickpeas or funny buisness.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, sorry I am late to responding. What do you think of this? Just found it and it looks great. No chickpeas or funny buisness.
Yeah I saw this the other day. It looks like Ziwipeak has a new line without chickpeas which is great. I think it looks decent. I would add it to a rotation of wet food. I don't know much about kahawai fish, but if you're feeding it in rotation with other stuff I'm sure it's fine. I would just be careful with cats that are prone to digestive issues since it's got lots of different proteins in it.

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I saw this the other day. It looks like Ziwipeak has a new line without chickpeas which is great. I think it looks decent. I would add it to a rotation of wet food. I don't know much about kahawai fish, but if you're feeding it in rotation with other stuff I'm sure it's fine. I would just be careful with cats that are prone to digestive issues since it's got lots of different proteins in it.
Thanks, I'm never confident in cat food choices so I figured you'd be the best person so ask. I'll look into adding it!

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is the difference between the dog version and the one for cats? The cats one is less for more money but the same ingredients..

Last edited:

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh also I found this and am curious about it, looks good so far and it's affordable. I don't like the flaxseed though but it's just about in everything.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
What is the difference between the dog version and the one for cats? The cats one is less for more money but the same ingredients..
Dogs and cats have different nutritional requirements, so the foods will likely have different amounts of macro and micro nutrients. For example, cats need a lot more supplementary taurine.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh also I found this and am curious about it, looks good so far and it's affordable. I don't like the flaxseed though but it's just about in everything.
This food is extremely high in fat. It has the same amount of protein as fat on a wet matter basis, this means that it will have twice as much (or more) of its calories coming from fat than protein because fat is denser in calories.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This food is extremely high in fat. It has the same amount of protein as fat on a wet matter basis, this means that it will have twice as much (or more) of its calories coming from fat than protein because fat is denser in calories.
This seems par for the course. If a food is 50% protein, and there's no need for carbs in a cat's diet, then the rest, 50% (minus ash) would have to be fat. I haven't seen very many commercial foods that are much higher than 50% protein with many of them lower. That one for instance is 44% protein.

What is the risk of high fat food in an otherwise healthy cat as long as protein requirements are being met?

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well... If it really is... And it's a problem.... Would this be harmful if it were fed only every three or four days, do you guys think? My cat has trouble keeping on weight, but I've her at chunky healthy weight, a little chunky, just a TAD.. In case she starts refusing food again. Last time she lost a lot and it scared me!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You want a high protein food--50% or higher on a dry matter basis. You want to make sure protein needs are met first and foremost. Then the remainder necessarily has to be fat unless the food has inappropriate fillers (and they are all inappropriate if they aren't meat, organs, and supplements.)

You can use an online dry matter calculator to convert "as fed" nutritional info into dry matter (taking out the moisture and analyzing just the food that remains.)
Dry Matter Basis Online Calculator | Feline Nutrition Awareness Effort

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You want a high protein food--50% or higher on a dry matter basis. You want to make sure protein needs are met first and foremost. Then the remainder necessarily has to be fat unless the food has inappropriate fillers (and they are all inappropriate if they aren't meat, organs, and supplements.)

You can use an online dry matter calculator to convert "as fed" nutritional info into dry matter (taking out the moisture and analyzing just the food that remains.)
Dry Matter Basis Online Calculator | Feline Nutrition Awareness Effort
Oh, yeah, she gets her chunky-on with her homemade with u-stew, but as of right now, I'm just looking for something to replace her canned food / use with it, and so far our luck has solely been............ The one I'm trying not to feed her, this potential one, and one earlier with fish, which I will die if I start getting....... 12 6OZ cans for 45? NO thanks. And it's not even pure, meaning, it's got plantmatter? Never! :sweat: I only just noticed that price.. God man