Best Brand Of Eco-friendly Cat Litter?

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've always used Tidy Cats, because it's cheap and it clumps and I haven't had any issues with it. But I'm thinking of switching to something that's more environmentally friendly, and that won't cause my kitties any issues if they accidentally ingest it. (Not that I've had any issues with them ingesting Tidy Cats, but I'm sure it's toxic.)

My sister has tried World's Best, but it was very dusty and it didn't hide smells very well. Now she's using Blue Buffalo walnut litter. She seems to like it, but I do notice that it tracks easily. Has anyone else tried this one? Do you like it?

I guess my main question is, does anyone know of a good brand of eco-friendly litter that doesn't end up all over the floor (or at least, no more than is typical with cat litter)? Something on the cheap side would also be great.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
There is a grass based litter that's gotten good reviews. My niece used it with multiple cats and liked it a lot. When I get to a real computer after work I'll try to look up which one it is.

I haven't used it myself because I have one cat who is allergic to every type of grass on the face of the earth. :ohwell:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For your consideration, I'm using a combination of arm n hammer, cats pride and a corncob litter - that corncob litter might work for your purposes.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll be following this with interest. I've been trying to switch away from clay litter for ages, but have yet to find a natural, clumping litter that is acceptable. I've tried SmartCat litter (is this the grass litter you were referring to, GoldyCat GoldyCat ?), but the tracking was horrendous and my kitten tried to eat it. Might give it a try again now that my kitten is older, but still wary about the tracking issue, and it's expensive. I also had high hopes for Okocat, but the clumps fell apart at the slightest pressure, and Saipha refused to use it.

I've been avoiding the food based litters (wheat, corn) because I order my litter from Amazon, and I've heard some horror stories of maggot/mite infested litter.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been trying to switch away from clay litter for ages, but have yet to find a natural, clumping litter that is acceptable
After a fair bit of trial, error, some cussing and whatnot, the trio of litters is what I ended up with. I was so hoping to get away from sodium bentonite, but apparently nobody's come up with a functional alternative so I worked out this combination I mentioned above where the corncob litter weirdly enough seems to cut down on dustiness. There are other sources to obtain litter (I'll admit I'm kinda boycotting amazon/amazon prime), but the main thing to note if you're interested, be absolutely sure it's made from the corncob, not just corn.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do use the Pioneer pet grass litter. It does track a little right around the box, but no worse than any other as far as i am concerned, and it sweeps up easy. I love this litter, so light weight, no fragrance, no dust on my cats, or the furniture, and it clumps better than clay. My cats took a week or so to change over, i found that with the light weight litter like this i don't put quite as much in the box, 2 or 3 inches, and they liked it better. one of my cats did taste the grass litter the first time or two, but a taste shouldn't hurt, just grass starch, and he only did it right at first then no more. Checked with vet, he said he didn't see a problem. The box is also easier to clean than clay, it does not stick to the box or the scoop. I have found that a scoop with larger holes helps, i don't shake it, just scoop and let the clean litter fall out. I use this litter and Dr. Elsey's respiratory relief silica litter, my cats and i are very happy with both, i will never return to clay. I did try, i think ,all of the other natural litters out there, these two i use have less dust and smell, in my opinion. litter seems to be very personal, for cats and people, so try several, see what you guys like best. :)
Pioneer Pet SmartCat All Natural Cat Litter
Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Respiratory Relief Silica Gel Cat Litter, 7.5-lb bag

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
duckpond duckpond My kitten is crazy about grass. She eats grass and even the seeds, too, if I'm not watching her. Do you think she might try to eat the Pioneer pet grass litter? :lol:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
duckpond duckpond My kitten is crazy about grass. She eats grass and even the seeds, too, if I'm not watching her. Do you think she might try to eat the Pioneer pet grass litter? :lol:
she may give it a taste, no way to know without trying it. only 1 of my 4 tasted it a few times, when i first started using it. I think young kittens are more prone to this. But there have been lots of stories about kittens tasting all kinds of litter, even clay. at least with the grass litter unless they try to make a meal out of it our vet said a taste or two wouldn't hurt, and it didn't seem to cause any problems. If you try it just watch, after mine got to using the litter as a potty he quit tasting it :) i dont know where you live, but if you have a Kroger grocery store close by they have their own grass litter as well. Natural Clumping Cat Litter - Abound i use this one too as i can get it local, i cant tell any difference in it and the Pioneer brand.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Most litter is clay and perhaps some silica. Basically it's earth going back into the landfill with a few 'extra' ingredients . :lovecat2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of trying either the Blue Buffalo walnut litter, or maybe another nut-based litter, a newspaper-based litter, or pine-based litter. I've also seen some litters made with wood shavings, but I feel like wood shavings may be too sharp on cat's paws?

I'll update the thread as I continue looking. :)

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of trying either the Blue Buffalo walnut litter, or maybe another nut-based litter, a newspaper-based litter, or pine-based litter. I've also seen some litters made with wood shavings, but I feel like wood shavings may be too sharp on cat's paws?

I'll update the thread as I continue looking. :)
I'll be interested in hearing your experiences!

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If clumping is important to you, the paper/wood-based clumping litters tend to clump pretty poorly, especially if you're used to using clay litter. I've had good clumping in the past with corncob litters, but stopped using those because all my furniture became coated in yellow dust (blech!) and one bag I got was infested with grain weevils which took months to fully eliminate from my apartment! I've since given up on clumping litters and have settled for wonderfully cheap, stink-free hardwood pellets. I never tried walnut litters, though. I had heard a lot of complaints about dust tracking the same way as the fine dust from corncob litters, so I never bothered with it, but YMMV.

I'm really curious about the switchgrass litters that are out now, but they're pretty expensive.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, not to argue but to clarify, litter made from the actual cob, after the yellow corn has been stripped off, is reddish because the cob itself is reddish.
I would never purchase litter made from corn due to mold and other issues like weevils. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience :frown: however a brand like litter maid has a great nonclumping low-no dust corncob litter.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On Saturday or Sunday I purchased a 10 pound bag of OurPets Switchgrass. It is now Thursday. I have been scooping at least twice a day every day and I put it up against the Cedariffic that I have been using for years. I need to buy more litter today and I believe I will be buying the OurPets brand again.
I know twice a day scooping is still pretty reckless but it allowed me to really test the brands against each other. I should have thrown out the Cedariffic yesterday because it was nearing full saturation.
This morning the Cedariffic boxes are unusable but after scooping the other boxes, the remaining litter doesn't smell of urine at all. If we go all the way to Petsmart I might sample another grass litter if it is less expensive otherwise I will stick with this one for now.
I looked up reviews and people complained mostly that it was dusty. I think I can live with dust.
My biggest complaint is that it is a $10 bag of grass. It annoys me.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using a new litter i found at walmart. litter maid walnut litter. it is a finer grain than blue, and way lest dusty too. I am surprised at how little it tracks since it is fine grain. Seems to control odor well, my cats like it and so do i. I think i will keep using this, along with my crystals and grass litter. I do think the litter maid tracks less than the grass litter.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using fresh4life eco-friendly grass litter (petvalu brand). I would give it 5 stars on everything except the tracking. But my cat likes to dig to China every time she's in the box so every litter tracks like crazy for me. It's the one disadvantage I put up with to have a low dust, eco-friendly, and allergy friendly clumping litter.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I decided to keep going with the switchgrass because it seems to be working really well for me. I ordered 40 lbs which should work out pretty well.
While I am waiting for it to come in I tried out Nature's Miracle. It reeks! Some people like air freshener smells but I don't and I am really surprised my cats are using it because in the past they didn't like perfumes either. It doesn't clump as well as the grass and the grass lasted a week or until the litter was scooped clean while the corn cob is foul after only 2 days. I was really disappointed in it.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using fresh4life eco-friendly grass litter (petvalu brand). I would give it 5 stars on everything except the tracking. But my cat likes to dig to China every time she's in the box so every litter tracks like crazy for me. It's the one disadvantage I put up with to have a low dust, eco-friendly, and allergy friendly clumping litter.
Neo, How are you liking the clumping factor? What's the price like? I am trying out a bunch of natural litters right now to compare them, and this could be next on my list.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neo, How are you liking the clumping factor? What's the price like? I am trying out a bunch of natural litters right now to compare them, and this could be next on my list.
I think it clumps well for a natural litter. I haven’t had any problems with it. I pay 40$ for a 20 pound bag (in Canada) but it lasts me at least 2 months for one cat.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the blue buffalo walnut pellets in a litter breeze box and they work great. My cat really likes them, compared to pine or the litter breeze brand zeolite ones.