Best Brand Of Catnip

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
OK I have 2 very high and passed out kitties lol Shaman and Treasure smelled a good amount of it lol

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catnip is in the Mint family which means it is extremely prolific and hard to kill so you don't exactly need a green thumb for it. Plant some outside and walk away and soon enough you'll have a patch of it growing, there is no care needed beyond planting it and making sure it gets enough water for the first year or so. It will quite happily grow in partial shade and will tolerate full shade so direct sunlight is not an issue.

The downside to plants in Mint family is also that they are extremely prolific and hard to kill. If you don't keep an eye on it then it will take over whatever area you plant it in within a few years, so if you do plant a patch of Catnip then it would be best to set a boundary and dig up any plants that you find growing outside of it.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
What happens if they eat too much catnip? I think Shaman ate a bit too much of the dried stuff I put on the toys.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Catnip is in the Mint family which means it is extremely prolific and hard to kill so you don't exactly need a green thumb for it. Plant some outside and walk away and soon enough you'll have a patch of it growing, there is no care needed beyond planting it and making sure it gets enough water for the first year or so. It will quite happily grow in partial shade and will tolerate full shade so direct sunlight is not an issue.

The downside to plants in Mint family is also that they are extremely prolific and hard to kill. If you don't keep an eye on it then it will take over whatever area you plant it in within a few years, so if you do plant a patch of Catnip then it would be best to set a boundary and dig up any plants that you find growing outside of it.
Yep, that's what happened to me, I started with a 2'x2' plot and now it's growing in areas on all 4 sides of the house. Aside from watering it in the summer and cutting it down in the fall I don't do anything for it. Though I don't really care, it's a natural mosquito and mouse repellent.

What happens if they eat too much catnip? I think Shaman ate a bit too much of the dried stuff I put on the toys.
If the eat too much it can upset their stomach, resulting in a bit of vomiting and/or diarrhea. Pretty much the issue is it's a plant, and cats are carnivores so they can't really digest plant material very well at all. Nothing serious or long lasting, no different then if they ate too much cat grass.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I grow it in pots?
Yes but I wouldn't recommend growing it in pots inside your house because your Cats will probably not leave it alone. Growing it in pots outside can help keep it from spreading to areas you don't want it in, so there's that.

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Outside it is, then. My cats don't seem to react much to catnip, though. They used to go crazy for silvervine or honeysuckle, but they don't seem so gaga about that any more either.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Outside it is, then. My cats don't seem to react much to catnip, though. They used to go crazy for silvervine or honeysuckle, but they don't seem so gaga about that any more either.
Not every Cat is affected by Catnip, yours may be in that category. If it doesn't do anything for them then you may not want to plant it unless you would want to use it as a pest repellent as amethyst mentioned.

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've got tons of pots and plenty of dirt, so why not try it? And if it repels anything, yippee! My boys only like my home "cooking," so maybe they'll prefer homegrown catnip, too.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Believe it or not I managed to kill a mint plant, a cactus that needed watering once a year and an air plant. So planting is out for me. I wouldn't subject another plant to that kind of abuse. Thanks for the suggestions on the dry and spray though :)

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Believe it or not I managed to kill a mint plant, a cactus that needed watering once a year and an air plant. So planting is out for me. I wouldn't subject another plant to that kind of abuse. Thanks for the suggestions on the dry and spray though :)
Did you try to grow mint inside? If you just plant it outside and leave it alone it should do fine.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try to grow mint inside? If you just plant it outside and leave it alone it should do fine.
I tried both and sadly it died regardless. Either from our droughts or from the constant thunderstorms. So they either go thirsty or they drown.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Is From the Field catnip spray safe? I'm asking because someone I know bought me some and without thinking I sprayed on the toys but the cat licked it. bottle says it's ingredients are distilled water and catnip oil. Ugh I'm so worried that this isn't supposed to be ingested.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is From the Field catnip spray safe? I'm asking because someone I know bought me some and without thinking I sprayed on the toys but the cat licked it. bottle says it's ingredients are distilled water and catnip oil. Ugh I'm so worried that this isn't supposed to be ingested.
Spray is perfectly safe.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. My previous cat wasn't phased or crazy about catnip so I wasn't sure. I never saw a cat lick up catnip like this one did. haha
Yeah, some Cats just don't get anything out of catnip. But if it has an effect on them then they will go nuts over toys that you spray it on or stuff with it. If you want to make your own toys a cheap and easy way is buy some baby socks and fill them with cotton batting then add catnip and tie them up.