Best Bowl For Flat Face?

Ajames1028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My new persian has a very flat face and a VERY hard time eating from a regular bowl. I’ve also tried a saucer and a “whisker relief” bowl. These made it worse. He pretty much can only eat if the food is piled up in a bowl so that he can from the food on top. I ordered a slanted bowl so that’s on the way. But I’m doubtful it will work after seeing him unsuccessfully try something similar that I set up with a regular bowl. I’ll include a picture of his little flat face and the only way he is able to eat his food so far. I’d appreciate any advice! :)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has trouble eating dry food. She has a smooth toungh so I guess it's hard for her to pick up. I feed her canned in big clumps.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
DA2D35CA-B8DF-4A30-8EFB-F8D160466AFA.jpeg
I recently started using binkies raised dish

My persian Allie likes to eat straight off the rug as seen in the photo, although I never fed them that much food in a bowl before, I dont free feed her..

Your kitty might be too small still for this though

She is eating from bikies bowl now but she still prefers the rug(clean no hair on it)

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
For my persian mix Barley I use a flat plate. He finds it also difficult to eat on a bowl, no matter what the size is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ajames1028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is her whisker relief bowl. Same?
Yep same one :( His whiskers bend inwards towards his nose also making it even harder to eat. It’s like they make a cage around his mouth. He just pushed the food right off the whisker plate. And off a regular plate. And with the shallow bowl, he would try to push the food up the side but it would fall back down before he could get it in his little mouth.

Ajames1028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also have a Persian, he's our third, and I found this stainless steel plate works great for him.
MSR Mountain Plate | REI Co-op

BTW, your Persian kitten is absolutely adorable! :lovecat3:
Aww thank you!! We love him lots! That plate is different than the ones we’ve tried so far. I’ll keep it in mind, thanks!

Ajames1028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A plate is best, but if your Cat is one of those that likes to push their food around as they eat then any shallow wide bowl would be best.
Maybe the bowl we tried was not wide enough? When we tried the shallow bowl, he would try to push the food up against the sides to get it in his mouth, but he could never quite get it. The way his whiskers grow also makes it hard. They grow inwards like a cage around his mouth

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the bowl we tried was not wide enough? When we tried the shallow bowl, he would try to push the food up against the sides to get it in his mouth, but he could never quite get it. The way his whiskers grow also makes it hard. They grow inwards like a cage around his mouth
Have you tried trimming his whiskers? If they're interfering with him eating it may be something to consider asking your vet about.

Ajames1028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We did trim his whiskers a little, but I probably could have trimmed them back a little more. I was just so scared to trim them because I’ve always heard that’s a terrible thing to do. His breeder said it was ok and that it was necessary to keep them from growing into his eyes.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use large dinner plates to feed my Persians. Yes, some of them make a mess - pushing the food off the plates sometimes, but I have had moggies do it too. Trimming the whiskers does not hurt the cat - just don't pull them out (that does hurt).

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use a regular saucer for Theodore's wet food and a shallow dessert bowl on a pedestal for his dry food. I also place these dishes on a tray to catch what he spills. he still drags the raw beef onto the carpet so I have to keep that clean.

Ajames1028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use a regular saucer for Theodore's wet food and a shallow dessert bowl on a pedestal for his dry food. I also place these dishes on a tray to catch what he spills. he still drags the raw beef onto the carpet so I have to keep that clean.
I recently put a tray under under his bowl. Genius!

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My new persian has a very flat face and a VERY hard time eating from a regular bowl. I’ve also tried a saucer and a “whisker relief” bowl. These made it worse. He pretty much can only eat if the food is piled up in a bowl so that he can from the food on top. I ordered a slanted bowl so that’s on the way. But I’m doubtful it will work after seeing him unsuccessfully try something similar that I set up with a regular bowl. I’ll include a picture of his little flat face and the only way he is able to eat his food so far. I’d appreciate any advice! :)
I heard a pyrex clear pie plate. I haven't tried it.