Best and worst cat treats

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is one small problem with the Whole Life treats: According to the list of stores that sell them, they are not sold in Gainesville. Does that mean they are not at Petco or Petsmart?
Petco and Petsmart do both have freeze dried meat treats - I don't remember the specific brands though.  They are in the dog treat section :)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is one small problem with the Whole Life treats: According to the list of stores that sell them, they are not sold in Gainesville. Does that mean they are not at Petco or Petsmart?
That's why there is one thing called Amazon.com :nod: That's where I get them Emily..... Halo (Petco for sure, I think Pet Smart too) treats are too expensive plus, they have carrageenan. I like Whole life better as it is 100% Chicken.

Ingredients: Chicken, Marinade (sodium phosphate, salt, carrageenan)
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/HL013/ItemDetail

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know what sucks?

Only one company makes pill pocket treats and it is not Whole Life Pet Products.

According to Greenies, veterinarians made up the recipes for pill pockets. I find that hard to believe when the treats have things called corn syrup and wheat gluten.
:flail: I'd much rather have a cat nutritionist create the recipe. Vets are the ones pushing prescription foods! :lol3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why there is one thing called Amazon.com .
I saw them there, but people who are not Prime members have to either pay for shipping or buy enough bags to use them as whole meals. If I had to pay for shipping, I would rather buy them at Petco with the regular food and litter.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hum..... I am confused..... Here you go.... Whole Life Chicken Treats. It is $11.19 with free shipping as long as you buy $25 from Amazon. You can buy different flavors.
Exactly my point. There is no way I can spend that much online every month.

Of course, I love knowing there is such a thing as a treat with nothing but meat.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't you order other stuff from Amazon? Or your parents? Just add some treats on to your (or their) next order :dk:.

LOL, I order from Amazon all the time. Everything! Pet food/supplies, vacuum bags, vitamins, shoes. . .I love Amazon :lol3:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly my point. There is no way I can spend that much online every month.

Of course, I love knowing there is such a thing as a treat with nothing but meat.
Ok.... Just a thought.... Save them. I buy the 21oz bag.... and they last me well over a month.
You don't need to spend that every month, nor do you need to open all the bags at the same time. You just save them.... and use it as needed.
But, it's just me.... Halo is about $10 for 2oz...... anyways, just a thought.... You can buy it locally.... and give it a try - that's just an idea :nod:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't you order other stuff from Amazon? Or your parents? Just add some treats on to your (or their) next order :dk:.
LOL, I order from Amazon all the time. Everything! Pet food/supplies, vacuum bags, vitamins, shoes. . .I love Amazon :lol3:
Me too LOL.... aside from Groceries..... I order everything from there.... Their price is awesome - I save big $$$ :bigthumb:
PS Emily - aren't you ordering a bunch of books from there anyways? :dk: add to it! Probably that will make $25.......

Last edited:

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me too LOL. Aside from Groceries. I order everything from there. Their price is awesome - I save big $$$
PS Emily - aren't you ordering a bunch of books from there anyways?  Add to it! Probably that will make $25..
That is a one-time purchase. I don't have much else to buy and can walk to a lot of stores.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So buy a few packs and keep them aside for later. It's not like they go bad quickly (although they may get soggy if left opened). 3-4 packs would probably last you a year with only one cat. Just saying, if you want them, I think it would be cost effective for you to order rather than buy locally. Even if you didn't order anything else but a few packs of treats. . .$33-$44 a year is probably a better price than you'll find elsewhere.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So buy a few packs and keep them aside for later. It's not like they go bad quickly (although they may get soggy if left opened). 3-4 packs would probably last you a year with only one cat. Just saying, if you want them, I think it would be cost effective for you to order rather than buy locally. Even if you didn't order anything else but a few packs of treats. . .$33-$44 a year is probably a better price than you'll find elsewhere.
Well..... I can only speak to myself..... Can't force anyone to save money :lol3:
As I said, I buy the 21oz bag - the HUGE ones...... While I do use as a topper, I use as a topper only, and it lasts and lasts..... The package seals very well, and mine never got soggy. Ever.
I used to buy Halo.... But with the extra ingredient.... and pretty much double of the price (for me even more as I buy the lg bag), I chose to save.
But then that's me.

violetxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have seen Purebites Freeze Dried Cat Treats at Petsmart. I am in Canada, but I have checked the website and they're on it so just go over to Petsmart.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12243347

Also you will not be going through a bag of treats in a month, at least I would hope not, we've had ours for almost 3 months now. Again, if its too much of a hassle or the price is to high, your better off not getting any then buying them poor quality treats IMO. Treats are not essential to there diet, plus you could always make homemade treats, like cooked pieces of chicken and freeze them in ice cube trays. There's only so much we can do for you in the cyberspace world, the rest is up to you.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here are links to freeze dried meat treats that you can get at Petco/Petsmart.  These are links to dog treats but they are just the same as kinds meant for cats - but in bigger bags/pieces.  The pieces easily break up into much smaller pieces.  I just put some of the meat treats in the blender to crush into a powder for a food topper - works really well.

http://www.petco.com/product/114355/Red-Barn-Naturals-Bully-Nuggets-Dog-Treats.aspx  beef lung/beef pizzle treats

http://www.petco.com/product/113170/Merrick-Lamb-Filet-Squares-Dog-Treats.aspx  lamb lung treats

Petco also has PureBites chicken and beef liver treats. 

http://www.petsmart.com/family/inde...eze+Dried&fbc=1&fbn=Type+1|Freeze+Dried&fbx=0 this link is for the four types of freeze dried treats that Petsmart carries. 

Last edited:

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think not in the big box stores, just a variety of online stores ;) and smaller independent brick and mortar stores.

Last edited:

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow...that's an amazing price Carolina on the 4 oz. chicken.  I know what the wholesale price is plus cost of shipping to this coast (down the road from Amazon..lol)..and they are retailing that size for very little above their cost.  They are expensive (wholesale price) treats.

furmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I give our cats the PureBites as well and instead of buying the cat size, I buy the dog size bags as they are actually cheaper. The pieces are bigger, but easy to break up. The cat and dog PureBites are the same ingredients.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a difference in meat quality among the different name brands for freeze-dried treats?

Whole Life Pet Products describes the entire process, which they call Farm to Friend.