Best Age To Introduce A Harness/leash, And What Type?

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ive got some fosters, currently 5 weeks old, and we are keeping two of them. Id like them to get used to a harness/leash so I can take them outdoors. When would be the best time to introduce them, and what is the best type? TIA!!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Leash training is a great idea! It’s a terrific way for cats to explore the outdoors safely and get some good exercise. Here’s a helpful article about leash training: Harness And Leash Training For Cats

5 weeks is probably a little too young to start leash training, though. Here’s an older thread about leash training: Leash Training?, it seems the earliest cats will start is about 6 weeks.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I wouldn't wait until they are definitely big enough to run so fast you can't catch them! You might get them used to a collar when they are about 12 weeks old, be careful though, the collar has to be tight enough not to let a foot through or to slip out of, but loose enough not to strangle. I had a kitten get a foot caught in ione and it was terrible. Check them often too, kittens grow very fast. Then get a small harness and as soon as it fits get them used to it in the house. This may take a while, from days to weeks. I had a Houdini that turned around and slipped out of every harness I got, I finally ended up with one called a figure 8 harness taht tightens as they pull, that is the only one that worked. Don't take them far from your house either, a big dog/child rushing up, a person approaching, or a truck backfiring can cause panic and they can escape. It is the best way to let them be outside without danger though, thank you for thinking of their safety.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the kitty holster. It's really easy to get on and cats don't seem to mind it too much. It's also quite secure as long as you get the right size.