Best Acidophilus Brand?

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there a certain brand or potency that is better for cats?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! Sorry no one has responded yet to your post. Can you tell us a bit more about why your cat might need acidophilus, and some more about him/her in general? That might help trigger some responses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is 14 and recently dxd with CKD. He is also in the midst of an URI so the vet decided to put him on a round of Azithromycin, even though she had reservations about it possibly causing stomach upset. His appetite haas not been good lately, but the congestion has been a problem for a while so she’s thinking that may actually be the source of the poor appetite. SO I was planning to get some probiotics and read somewhere that acidophilus is good for respiratory issues.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmmm. I've never heard of probiotics being good for respiratory issues since they work in the digestive tract. That being said, they work great when you are giving antibiotics, simply because antibiotics often cause diarrhea. The issue is that you shouldnt give them within a few hours of each other. My Vet recommends giving FortiFlora with antibiotics if my cat gets diarrhea from them, and it works. Otherwise, I normally give human probiotics like Natural Factors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just to update. I started using Proviable probiotics a few days ago and they seem to be working like a charm. His appetite is much better.