Berber Carpet and cats

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have Berber carpet? We have been looking at carpet and my bf is insistent on getting berber. I have big reservations due to the fact that I heard that it will run easily if a cat either scrathes on it or gets their nail caught. I could use some insight seeing as this may becaome a war at our household.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittergirl

Does anyone have Berber carpet? We have been looking at carpet and my bf is insistent on getting berber. I have big reservations due to the fact that I heard that it will run easily if a cat either scrathes on it or gets their nail caught. I could use some insight seeing as this may becaome a war at our household.
You have 6 cats.....whew..lots of nail trimming! But you will have to keep them all trimmed, because they will snag all the time on berber if you don't.

It's possible to have that carpet, but it's alot of work to keep the cats from getting hung up.

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you thought of using Soft Paws? It would be a lot of work (and money) to put them on six cats, at least initially, but if you keep them on all four paws, they won't snag on anything.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a rental property that has burber carpet! There is evidence that a cat/s (not my two!
) has had a jolly good go at the stairs and it has gone fluffy! (like the carpeted bits on cat trees)

We don't seem to have any problems with pulls orstuck claws! Both Tibby and Molly have their claws trimmed regularly (well, ish!) and we've not had problems!

One thing you may want to think about if you get burber, though, is the colour! My carpet is pretty mixed and quite dark, so any stains don't show up much!

Some people have found it difficult to clean too!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just got new carpet installed in my apartment last year. When I was trying to decide what kind to go with I was told berber isn't a good choice if you have pets because it snags so easily and is hard to keep clean. I ended up getting a good quality plush that is supposed to extremely durable and stain resistant. So far, so good.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have berber in two rooms and I haven't had any trouble but they are in two bedroom area (not heavily traveled by the kitties on their crazy runs). I can absolutely tell you that even in our bedroom we got a cream/tan based berber. It gets dirty so quickly it's ridiculous. I have to shampoo it about one a month.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most any carpet is only going to last 8-10 years (I don't care WHAT their warranty says!) or perhaps I should say is only going to look GOOD for 8-10 years. Personally I don't like the look of berber, it looks like a bare step above commercial carpet to me and the color choices seem so limited.

That said we have what I would call a "semi" berber here in the computer room, not sure what else to call it, very low pile, sort of a cut loop type thingy. Since it is a cut-loop it doesn't snag claws, and at 4 years old is wearing okay although it's needing a good steam cleaning at the moment. Perhaps something like that would be a compromise?

A short search reveals this stuff is called "cut-pile berber." Supposedly has the look of traditional berber without the problems. Try looking for that.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO berber sucks, our condo is full of it.
4 of our 6 are declawed, and the carpet is still getting picked and pulled.
Even the dog catches on it, and his claws are trimmed religiously.

What I wouldn't give for a nice, flat carpet like offices use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

I just got new carpet installed in my apartment last year. When I was trying to decide what kind to go with I was told berber isn't a good choice if you have pets because it snags so easily and is hard to keep clean. I ended up getting a good quality plush that is supposed to extremely durable and stain resistant. So far, so good.
This is the route I am trying to head him in. That is my stand to the tee!
What really made me so mad was the fact that after discussing it he goes ahead and gets it. Showed me what my opinion counts as... It is his home but still, I thought that we were a team.It is a remnant so I have a little time to work on him yet.
AND THEN not being a cat owner before he suggested the de-clawing
::censor::censor::censor::
and I blew up at him and told him flat out that I would NOT mame my cats!

I have printed several articles on declawing and plan to make him read them!

(Just wait until he wants me to go and help him pick out counter tops!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have berber in two bedrooms and have no problems at all. When Adelaide was still scared, but coming inside she use to have more problem with the close short piled carpet in the dining room - she regularly used to get her claws stuck in that.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have berber in our family room which needs to be replaced BADLY!!! But the cats don't really hook there claws in it too much!!! But the thing with berber it is just so flat looking in the traffic areas especially as our family room is 23 x 24 ft.
I will not replace it with berber again!!

navdoc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had berber in my last house. Did not have a problem with the cats. Berber is very uncomfortable but is very sturdy.

blueberrybeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by evnshawn

Ooh, yes. I like the look of it, but in my experience it's a pain to keep clean.
While we have no problem with snagging (although our kitties with claws do love to sharpen on it), I agree that it is next to impossible to keep clean. The cat hair gets embedded, and due to the bumpy texture the vacuum can't get all of it. My husband put it on the whole first floor before he had cats (or met me, for that matter). The regular carpet we have upstairs is much better - doesn't show wear and is easier to clean.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The berber I had turned into this hugh scratching post - started to cut the loops after a while and then replaced it - LOVE BERBER but NOT with cats!